Internal network settings

truc

Aug 7, 2024
I have a cluster with 3 nodes, each node has 2 network cards (ens192,ens256), 1 card (ens192) I use to set public ip to allow access from outside and by web, I have 1 card (ens256) left. ) network and now I want to use this network card to make an internal network strip that allows vms on hosts to talk to each other. What can I do with that extra network card?

I have a cluster with 3 nodes, each node has 2 network cards (ens192,ens256), 1 card (ens192) I use to set public ip to allow access from outside and by web, I have 1 card (ens256) left. ) network and now I want to use this network card to make an internal network strip that allows vms on hosts to talk to each other. What can I do with that extra network card?
I tried using SDN and creating a simple zone but I can only ping between vms in a node and not vms in other nodes. I also tried creating a network range without an assigned gateway and using a bridge with (vmbr1 ) with the following configuration but I cannot ping vms on other nodes 1723199724683.png

1. Don't use the 20.X range, that's a public IP-range. Use one of the LAN-/Private Network-ranges [1] instead, for example 10.20.30.1/24
2. Don't use the .0 with a /24, that's the network-address and should not be used, the same with the .255 address being for broadcast
3. Those hosts in the cluster, do you mean you set up said cluster over the public/WAN network, without any router in-between? That too is discouraged, but we can take a look at that later once we fix the first issue.

Let's start with the basics, this ens256, is it (properly) connected to a single switch, and does that switch have any VLAN's set up on it? If it's a single switch without VLAN's, or a single switch with the same VLAN on each of the 3 ports, it should be fine, if on separate switches, you'll have to check that traffic can flow between the ports on the different switches.
If yes, let's first see if we can get the hosts talking to eachother, the VM's we'll try later. The settings in your screenshot look mostly fine, just set up the following IPs on the vmbr1 of each of the servers (keeping the gateway empty, autostart on, bridge ports to ens256):
Host 1: 10.20.30.1/24
Host 2: 10.20.30.2/24
Host 3: 10.20.30.3/24
Then apply the new network-settings.
Now on each of the hosts, go to the shell tab and try to ping the other hosts with ping 10.20.30.2 -c 5 (of course replacing the .2 with .1 or .3 to check the other hosts too.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!