[SOLVED] Interface used by WebUI changes after adding a new bridged interface

FreePenCollector

Jul 9, 2013
Canada
Hello Experts,

I'm encountering strange behaviour in version 3.1-17.

My physical server has 2 NICs, with 4 ints. Currently:
eth0 - vmbr0 - 10.2.x.x
eth1 - vmbr1 - 10.6.x.x
eth2 - unused
eth3 - unused

When I add a new bridged interface as follows, through the web ui:
eth2 - vmbr2 - 10.5.x.x

and reboot, I lose web gui and ssh access to the server. For some reason, it switches to use the new interface and instead of being accessible through 10.2.x.x as before, it's now accessible through 10.5.x.x.

Obviously this breaks other things I have configured. Why is it changing the default interface from vmbr0 to vmbr2, and how can I stop this from happening? I don't recall this happening when I setup my other bridged int, eth1, but that was nearly a year ago..

Last edited:
So of course it's only after I give up and make my thread that I find an answer, or at least a work around.

I didn't realise that the bridged interfaces don't need actual IPs assigned to them, so creating vmbr2 bridged with eth2 and assigning no IP has worked.

However, I still think it's strange for the proxmox interface to change if I add a third bridge with an assigned IP. Also why didn't the creation of my second bridge create similar issues? I'll hold off on marking this thread as solved in the meantime for this reason.

Hi,

my netstat show that pveproxy is listening on all interfaces

# netstat -anp|grep 8006
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:8006 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 49516/pveproxy work

So, I think your problem is more related to network config. Maybe do you have change your gateway ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!