Inter-VLAN Bottlenecking with i225 NIC

PLKMafia

Jan 17, 2024
Hi all,

I am currently running Proxmox 8.2.7. It is installed on an HP Elitedesk 800 G6 with an Intel i225 proprietary NIC installed. In all my VMs, I am using the VirtIO NIC.

When running iperf3 tests or SMB & SFTP transfers between VMs on the same VLAN, I see speeds of ~30 Gb/s.
Transfers between VMs on different VLANs result in a bottleneck of around 500-600 Mb/s. It is important to note that I have a 2.5 Gb/s capable switch, and my router is as well.

I know this problem resides with Proxmox, because transfers from the Proxmox host itself to another 2.5 Gb/s -capable machine on the network will actually saturate the NIC with 0 retries in iperf3.

The problem only exists when transferring from a VM within Proxmox. I have my VLANs configured on the Proxmox host using Linux bridges.

Is there anybody else out there with this problem? I know I have a common NIC and a popular homelab PC with the Elitedesk. I have located another forum post where others are discussing the issue from last year. It is linked: here.

Any feedback would be great. I've put in hours of work investigating the issue to no avail. I've tinkered with ethtool settings, different virtual NICs, you name it. I fear it is a kernel issue.

Thank you

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!