intel x553 SFP+ ixgbe no go on PVE8

Just doing a mv /usr/src/ixgbe-5.19.9/dkms.conf /usr/src/ixgbe-5.19.9/dkms.conf.bak should be enough. Then you can install the 6.8 kernel, though you will lose function of the sfp+ ports unless you pin the 6.5 kernel with the DKMS 5.19.9 driver.

Reactions: mcraven
Just doing a mv /usr/src/ixgbe-5.19.9/dkms.conf /usr/src/ixgbe-5.19.9/dkms.conf.bak should be enough. Then you can install the 6.8 kernel, though you will lose function of the sfp+ ports unless you pin the 6.5 kernel with the DKMS 5.19.9 driver.
Done. And... yes, this allowed the 6.8 kernel install to complete. Thanks. This is a dirt simple solution and I should have thought of it. I was trying to temporarily pause the DKMS service, set the ixgbe 5.19.9 auto-install option to "no", etc. but nothing I tried cleared the road to allow the kernel to build.

I'm now pinned to the 6.5 kernel. Again, I was drafting on the work in this forum topic to get the x553 10G ports working before. I'm hoping there is a new fix shortly or that Proxmox gets around to properly supporting this NIC. When I purchased this device, I didn't realize that these NICs were a problem for Proxmox.

Is the best path to get 5.19.9 to compile under the new kernel or move ahead to 5.20.3?

Again, big thanks.

I'm hoping there is a new fix shortly or that Proxmox gets around to properly supporting this NIC. When I purchased this device, I didn't realize that these NICs were a problem for Proxmox.

Same goes for me. Kinda frustrating, but I don't think there will be a fix any time soon.

So I did a bit more digging, but still no luck with this. I did find that the driver is properly detecting the DAC cable without complaints, but it's still stuck with the NO CARRIER message. This past week I ordered a pair of Intel-branded FTLX8571D3BCV-IT. I confirmed that it also detects these properly and does turn on the laser, but they will not connect either. So the problem does seem to be somewhere other than SFP detection. I tried one of the 1G SFP ports on my box and it also won't link up, so it seems all SFPs on this model NIC are just bricked with this new kernel.
Just sticking with 1G for now because it doesn't really affect what I'm currently running, but all those fancy ports I paid for are currently unusable.

When I purchased this device, I didn't realize that these NICs were a problem for Proxmox.
While this affects proxmox, it is not just a proxmox issue, it is a general Linux kernel driver issue, that affects every distribution using Linux kernel 6.* and above, so Ubuntu, debian, suse, etc ....

So I did a bit more digging, but still no luck with this. I did find that the driver is properly detecting the DAC cable without complaints, but it's still stuck with the NO CARRIER message. This past week I ordered a pair of Intel-branded FTLX8571D3BCV-IT. I confirmed that it also detects these properly and does turn on the laser, but they will not connect either. So the problem does seem to be somewhere other than SFP detection. I tried one of the 1G SFP ports on my box and it also won't link up, so it seems all SFPs on this model NIC are just bricked with this new kernel.
Just sticking with 1G for now because it doesn't really affect what I'm currently running, but all those fancy ports I paid for are currently unusable.

you can pin the last proxmox 6.5 kernel and build/install the 5.20.3 driver there to regain use of your 10g ports.

Last edited:
Just some info for the party: Intel's ixgbe driver is a few versions behind Linux kernel, stilling using removed kernel APIs so it won't compile on newest 6.8 kernel. xdp_do_flush_map in this case, by the look of things from other people's error message.

The in-tree ixgbe seems to lagging behind more (feature and bugfix wise) as it is showing multiple bugs that were fixed on Intel's version.

For anyone who cares enough, you can make money patches by switching to the new xdp_do_flush, which is how they (the kernel guys) made the in-tree ixgbe compile with kernel 6.8

Disclaimer: I don't work for Intel, I don't have any x553 laying around and I'm not running anything on kernel 6.8 Also it has been VERY long time since the last time I wrote any kernel/driver code so I'm not responsible for any consequences by doing that money patch. Refer to Intel/Linux kernel working groups for further information.

Last edited:
Reactions: vesalius
you can pin the last proxmox 6.5 kernel and build/install the 5.20.3 driver there to regain use of your 10g ports.
Just took a look at 5.20.3 driver from Intel and it appears they already added money patch for kernel 6.8, so this version should compile with kernel 6.8 and there is no need to pin 6.5

Anyone care enough to try it?

Basically they replaced all xdp_do_flush_map to xdp_do_flush and retained backward compatibility through the following macro.
C:
/* NEED_XDP_DO_FLUSH
 * Upstream commit 1d233886dd90 ("xdp: Use bulking for non-map XDP_REDIRECT
 * and consolidate code paths") replaced xdp_do_flush_map with xdp_do_flush
 * and 7f04bd109d4c ("net: Tree wide: Replace xdp_do_flush_map() with
 * xdp_do_flush()") cleaned up related code.
 */
#ifdef NEED_XDP_DO_FLUSH
static inline void xdp_do_flush(void)
{
    xdp_do_flush_map();
}
#endif /* NEED_XDP_DO_FLUSH */

Last edited:
I pinned the 6.5 kernel and installed the 5.19.9 and 5.20.3 drivers, which sadly didn't work either. The link is up while booting but dissapears when Proxmox is booted.

I pinned the 6.5 kernel and installed the 5.19.9 and 5.20.3 drivers, which sadly didn't work either. The link is up while booting but dissapears when Proxmox is booted.
Must be a different issue than what I am experiencing then, those out of tree intel drivers work fine to resurrect my SFP+ ports when installed in the Proxmox 6.5 kernel.

Just took a look at 5.20.3 driver from Intel and it appears they already added money patch for kernel 6.8, so this version should compile with kernel 6.8 and there is no need to pin 6.5

Anyone care enough to try it?

Basically they replaced all xdp_do_flush_map to xdp_do_flush and retained backward compatibility through the following macro.
C:
/* NEED_XDP_DO_FLUSH
 * Upstream commit 1d233886dd90 ("xdp: Use bulking for non-map XDP_REDIRECT
 * and consolidate code paths") replaced xdp_do_flush_map with xdp_do_flush
 * and 7f04bd109d4c ("net: Tree wide: Replace xdp_do_flush_map() with
 * xdp_do_flush()") cleaned up related code.
 */
#ifdef NEED_XDP_DO_FLUSH
static inline void xdp_do_flush(void)
{
    xdp_do_flush_map();
}
#endif /* NEED_XDP_DO_FLUSH */
Unless I am misunderstanding your suggestions, I did try already and the build errored out. See https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/intel-x553-sfp-ixgbe-no-go-on-pve8.135129/post-657758

Unless I am misunderstanding your suggestions, I did try already and the build errored out. See https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/intel-x553-sfp-ixgbe-no-go-on-pve8.135129/post-657758
No freaking idea why but, its true that intel still makes call to xdp_do_flush_map in 5.20.3
They actually have a check in place to see if xdp_do_flush is present: gen NEED_XDP_DO_FLUSH if fun xdp_do_flush absent in "$fh"
But never call it anywhere. (What is this? Half baked patch that, pretend it's trying to fix things?)

To me this looks like a bug.
Also I'm seeing 5.19.9 listed as "Latest" in Intel's site but sourceforge has 5.20.3 released April 26. Did Intel pull 5.20.3 from their website, or they just don't give a shit about their own sites?
https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...ethernet-network-connections-under-linux.html

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!