Instant mount / start of vm from pbs backup

Yes! https://lists.proxmox.com/pipermail/pve-devel/2021-January/046653.html The link you sent describes perfectly what I'm trying to achieve here.
Basically to use this to immediatly start a VM in case of emergency, and the move the data in the backgrond while the vm it up and running.
I understand ofc. there will be some performance penalty, but a slow server is better than no server at all!

@Stefan_R Is there any ETA on when this feature will be available, even for testing?

We usually don't give any ETAs, but this patch is already in active discussion on the list, so it won't be that long :)

If you want to help test and are comfortable with git, you can read through our https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Developer_Documentation and apply the patches from the mailing list yourself.

I have gotten some further but something weird is happening somewhere, have tried doing the commands etc manually to rule out things.

Have basically found hta I need to maybe create my own custom scripting for our use case, but the main thing I'm stuck on is this:

Code:
qemu-nbd --connect=/dev/nbd0 -f raw -s --cache=writeback pbs:repository=root@pam@mybackupserver:mydatastore,snapshot=vm/210/2020-10-31T23:01:23Z,archive=drive-virtio0.img.fidx
qemu-nbd: Failed to set NBD socket
qemu-nbd: Disconnect client, due to: Failed to read request: Unexpected end-of-file before all bytes were read

Getting this error when using the qemu-nbd command, i've tried finding some documentation for this command, specifiacally relating to the pbs:repository "Module" or wahtever to call it.

But I have not found anything usefull, @Lapointemar do you or any others any hints here, either to the error or where i can find some docs.?
Hive not find doc to as i was testing this feature because i thin this implementation is only on proxmox module, so you need to have proxmox kernel / backup server module. I gona retry the script tonight or tomoro morning from my side and keep you aware if is still workibg on my side if yes i can provide commande and screen shoot form my data store np

I have gotten some further but something weird is happening somewhere, have tried doing the commands etc manually to rule out things.

Have basically found hta I need to maybe create my own custom scripting for our use case, but the main thing I'm stuck on is this:

Code:
qemu-nbd --connect=/dev/nbd0 -f raw -s --cache=writeback pbs:repository=root@pam@mybackupserver:mydatastore,snapshot=vm/210/2020-10-31T23:01:23Z,archive=drive-virtio0.img.fidx
qemu-nbd: Failed to set NBD socket
qemu-nbd: Disconnect client, due to: Failed to read request: Unexpected end-of-file before all bytes were read

Getting this error when using the qemu-nbd command, i've tried finding some documentation for this command, specifiacally relating to the pbs:repository "Module" or wahtever to call it.

But I have not found anything usefull, @Lapointemar do you or any others any hints here, either to the error or where i can find some docs.?
I can confirm this stil working greate (PVE 6.3-3, PBS 1.0-6) but you need to edit the script because "proxmox-backup-client snapshot" need to be "proxmox-backup-client snapshot list " now it a small change on proxmox-backup client cli.

still some thing have you "modprobe nbd" module ?
try to use cli to get true name of file some time ago i remember having this issue caused by incorect time conversion UTC vs LOCAL TIME in script
I use ISCSI drive never tester with VIRTUO Drive meaby is that.

Still the only thing i can guest for your issu is a inacurate information regarding the path (vm/...).

I whish this can help you a bit.

I can confirm this stil working greate (PVE 6.3-3, PBS 1.0-6) but you need to edit the script because "proxmox-backup-client snapshot" need to be "proxmox-backup-client snapshot list " now it a small change on proxmox-backup client cli.

still some thing have you "modprobe nbd" module ?
try to use cli to get true name of file some time ago i remember having this issue caused by incorect time conversion UTC vs LOCAL TIME in script
I use ISCSI drive never tester with VIRTUO Drive meaby is that.

Still the only thing i can guest for your issu is a inacurate information regarding the path (vm/...).

I whish this can help you a bit.
ho and i use ip address as server information no FQND if this can help you

We usually don't give any ETAs, but this patch is already in active discussion on the list, so it won't be that long :)

If you want to help test and are comfortable with git, you can read through our https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Developer_Documentation and apply the patches from the mailing list yourself.
I tried doing what you suggested, but seems i am not familiar enough with git that is not github.

Any updates on this, timeline etc?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!