Installing qemu-agent on windows server core (Hyper-V 2019 core in my case)

apap

Apr 18, 2021
I've finally discovered how to install qemu-agent on windows server core. Please see the method below:

Sourced from here: https://gist.github.com/goffinet/36e6581670cde2d016f620f6f490d281

Powershell in or to windows server core:

# display available drives
Get-PSDrive

# create local driver directory
mkdir c:\drivers

# copy drivers from media to local directory (change D:\ to your virtio-iso location)
Copy-Item D:\vioscsi\2k19\ -Destination C:\drivers\vioscsi\2k19 -Recurse
Copy-Item D:\NetKVM\2k19\ -Destination C:\drivers\NetKVM\2k19 -Recurse
Copy-Item D:\Balloon\2k19\ -Destination C:\drivers\Balloon\2k19 -Recurse
Copy-Item D:\vioserial\2k19\ -Destination C:\drivers\vioserial\2k19 -Recurse
Copy-Item D:\guest-agent\ -Destination C:\drivers\guest-agent -Recurse

# go to local directory with drivers
Set-Location C:\drivers

# install drivers
pnputil -i -a C:\Drivers\NetKVM\2k19\amd64\*.inf
pnputil -i -a C:\Drivers\Balloon\2k19\amd64\*.inf
pnputil -i -a C:\Drivers\vioserial\2k19\amd64\*.inf

# set up guest agent
Set-Location C:\drivers\guest-agent
msiexec /i qemu-ga-x86_64.msi (this is my modification on the article, as running the msi per the article gave me an error)

Copy-Item C:\drivers\Balloon\2k19\amd64 -Destination 'C:\Program Files\Balloon' -Recurse

Set-Location 'C:\Program Files\Balloon'
./blnsvr.exe -i

At the last step PVE will recognise the qemu agent running without a reboot, but I rebooted anyway.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roopee and floh8
I've finally discovered how to install qemu-agent on windows server core. Please see the method below:

Sourced from here: https://gist.github.com/goffinet/36e6581670cde2d016f620f6f490d281

Powershell in or to windows server core:

# display available drives
Get-PSDrive

# create local driver directory
mkdir c:\drivers

# copy drivers from media to local directory (change D:\ to your virtio-iso location)
Copy-Item D:\vioscsi\2k19\ -Destination C:\drivers\vioscsi\2k19 -Recurse
Copy-Item D:\NetKVM\2k19\ -Destination C:\drivers\NetKVM\2k19 -Recurse
Copy-Item D:\Balloon\2k19\ -Destination C:\drivers\Balloon\2k19 -Recurse
Copy-Item D:\vioserial\2k19\ -Destination C:\drivers\vioserial\2k19 -Recurse
Copy-Item D:\guest-agent\ -Destination C:\drivers\guest-agent -Recurse

# go to local directory with drivers
Set-Location C:\drivers

# install drivers
pnputil -i -a C:\Drivers\NetKVM\2k19\amd64\*.inf
pnputil -i -a C:\Drivers\Balloon\2k19\amd64\*.inf
pnputil -i -a C:\Drivers\vioserial\2k19\amd64\*.inf

# set up guest agent
Set-Location C:\drivers\guest-agent
msiexec /i qemu-ga-x86_64.msi (this is my modification on the article, as running the msi per the article gave me an error)

Copy-Item C:\drivers\Balloon\2k19\amd64 -Destination 'C:\Program Files\Balloon' -Recurse

Set-Location 'C:\Program Files\Balloon'
./blnsvr.exe -i

At the last step PVE will recognise the qemu agent running without a reboot, but I rebooted anyway.
Many thanks, that worked for me on Hyper-V Server 2019 Free, apart from GA not registering in PVE until I restarted Hyper-V.

Incidentally before finding your post I ran pnputil at the CLI to install the 3 drivers from the CD directly (i.e. D:\... ) rather than copying drivers to C: first and that seemed to work (NetKVM definitely did), but GA definitely didn't and probably Balloon didn't either, hence looking for help.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!