Installing Proxmox with UEFI BIOS Setting On and Secure Boot Off

Hi MMartinez, which hardware raid controller you were using on DL360 G9?

I've instal.led Proxmox 3.3 on a HP DL360 Gen9. I had no problems, just create a RAID1 on the Hardware RAID controller, setup the system to boot in Legacy Mode and install Proxmox. It worked perfectly.

I've been trying to install Proxmox 3.3 (and Debian, and Ubuntu...) on a HP DL 180 Gen9 and it's been more complicated. It has an SmartArray Software controller (B140i) and it's not supported on Linux so first of all you have to configure the system to use "SATA AHCI MODE", after that, you can boot on Legacy Mode and install Proxmox, but now the problem is that the fan are working all the time at 58% and the server is very noisy. I've been talking with HP Support but they don't support Proxmox, nor Debian, nor Ubuntu... Just Vmware, RedHat, SuSE.

Yesterday I was able to install Proxmox 4.1-2f9650d4-21 in UEFI boot mode on a Dell Power Edge R515 (having an 8 drive RAID 10 with 1 virtual disk spanning all physical disks).

I had no issue with UEFI, however I will mention that during this install the GUI installer displayed so large that the right and bottom portions of the gui-installer-interface were chopped off, so that I could not see any "next" buttons; to progress to each step in the install, I had to hit tab, then enter, then hope. I got through it though...

Update: This display issue I mention above, is a known bug when installing onto UEFI. See here:
https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=728

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!