Installing Proxmox on RAIDZ1 with Shared TrueNAS VM Datasets

fals3illusion

Oct 16, 2023
I was wondering if this is a do-able thing on proxmox. My motherboard has 3 NVME slots. I was thinking of setting up proxmox on 3x2TB NVME drives in RAIDZ1 ZFS.

If run a TrueNAS VM, passthrough the 3 NVME drives to TrueNAS, would I be able to detect that ZFS pool and create datasets on it?

Therefore I can have proxmox storage, as well as datasets for other Shares for VM/LXC's to connect to for shared fast storage.

Currently I have one NVME for proxmox install and 2x2TB NVM on Truenas as a Mirror. Would like to combine these functions so I have redundancy for Proxmox as well as the Truenas Storage Pool.

Just wondering if this is possible, or if it's just a dumb idea.. Just trying to see if i can get the best of both worlds.

Thanks!

Just wondering if this is possible, or if it's just a dumb idea.. Just trying to see if i can get the best of both worlds.
You can't share a disk between two OSs. If you do that you will corrupt the data on it unless you use some cluster-aware filesystem (which ZFS isn't). So don't try to mount a disk on the PVE host that you already passthroughed into a VM.

Last edited:
Reactions: fals3illusion
You can't share a disk between two OSs. If you do that you will corrupt the data on it unless you use some cluster-aware filesystem (which ZFS isn't). So don't try to mount a disk on the PVE host that you already passthroughed into a VM.
Thanks, fairly new to proxmox, was just wondring if this was possible. Guess ill just stick to my proxmox backup server and backing up host configs and hope I get many years out of my current setup.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!