Installing CT or VM on NAS Drive

mazhar555

Aug 18, 2023
Hello,
I am not new to ProxMox but I am not an expert user. I am from Software background so have little knowledge of Networking and Hardware stuff.
Before I describe my problem, let me tell you about my setup

My Setup:
An old I7 4th Gen machine with 28 GB Ram. Proxmox CE is installed on it.
I have installed 4 ports 2.5G NIC on it.
3 2TB SSD's for NAS.
1 128 GB SSD, Proxmox installed on it.

PFSense installed on it, so you can guess, all my network is controlled through PF. All the network ports are not physically passed, Proxmox created virtual network ports, that are used within PFsense. 1 is WAN, rest 3 are LAN.

TrueNAS is installed on it, and 3 SSD's are physically passed through. Means no RIAD on Proxmox side, but RIAD settings are on TrueNAS.
NAS drive is also added in Proxmox storage for VM's and to store VM's Backup.

Problem:
When I create a CT or VM on Proxmox SSD (128 GB), it works fine no problem. You can imagine, I have limited storage on SSD, so best way to install it on NAS Storage.
If I create Ubuntu or Debian CT on NAS Storage, it's created but it went into start loop. Proxmox is unable to start the container. I have to restart system in order to come out of that start loop.
If I create Ubuntu VM on NAS Storage, I can start it, use it, but after some time, like 10 15 minutes, it stoped to respond, my whole Proxmox system went into NOT RESPONDING state and I have to restart it by pressing the power button.

Any idea what would be the root cause of this?

Regards,
Mazhar

> TrueNAS is installed on it, and 3 SSD's are physically passed through. Means no RIAD on Proxmox side, but RIAD[sic] settings are on TrueNAS. NAS drive is also added in Proxmox storage for VM's and to store VM's Backup

You're doing things in kind of a bizarre way, why would you have your NAS storage on the same machine, in a VM? And then try to use that virtualized NAS as your primary VM storage? You're throwing away I/O performance doing that.

My advice would be to get your NAS storage out of the VM and put it directly on the host, or move it to a non-virtualized separate physical instance. Proxmox is probably getting confused by the abstraction layers.

Hello, Thanks for your reply.

I have attached snapshots, let me know what is wrong here? and what is the correct way?

Third snapshot will show you hardware config of TrueNas.

Regards,
Mazhar

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 10.23.17 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 10.23.17 AM.png
    147.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 10.23.48 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 10.23.48 AM.png
    36.6 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 10.24.07 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 10.24.07 AM.png
    180 KB · Views: 1
  • Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 10.26.27 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-09 at 10.26.27 AM.png
    102.1 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!