Installed PVE on a single ZFS SSD. How to add a second SSD as mirror?

dakazze

Nov 25, 2022
I am running PVE on bare metal and installed it on a single ZFS SSD because the delivery of the second SSD was delayed. Now I finally got the second SSD and installed it.
Since I already set up all my VMs and stuff I am scared to lose all of my progress by mistake. I found a few posts on how to add a second drive to the boot pool but some of them are older and might be outdated and on top of that I am a complete noob when it comes to all of this.
So I would really appreciate if anyone could explain how to do this, the easiest and safest way!

I am running PVE on bare metal and installed it on a single ZFS SSD because the delivery of the second SSD was delayed. Now I finally got the second SSD and installed it.
Since I already set up all my VMs and stuff I am scared to lose all of my progress by mistake. I found a few posts on how to add a second drive to the boot pool but some of them are older and might be outdated and on top of that I am a complete noob when it comes to all of this.
It's understandable to be cautious about adding your second SSD after setting up your VMs. Before proceeding, make sure to back up your important data. For the latest instructions on adding the drive to the ZFS boot pool, consult the Proxmox documentation or community forums to ensure you're following up-to-date methods.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!