Installation stuck after grub

inDane

Jan 11, 2019
Is this a known bug?

Can you tell me what I need to do to make this work?

My guess is, that it doesn't like my GPU. Nvidia and Linux is just not a good match.

Untitled.jpg

My guess is, that it doesn't like my GPU. Nvidia and Linux is just not a good match.

I'd have guessed the same, what GPU is in there? Very recent ones have the most issues, normally...
Other Hardware information would also nice to have.

You could try adding vga=791 to the kernel commanline on ISO boot in GRUB.

I'd have guessed the same, what GPU is in there? Very recent ones have the most issues, normally...
Other Hardware information would also nice to have.

Maincomponents are:
- Ryzen 3950X
- ASUS X570 ROG x570-F
- Nvidia RTX 2060 Super (Gigabyte)

You could try adding vga=791 to the kernel commanline on ISO boot in GRUB.
you mean, with "e" going to the edit the boot menu and add vga=791 to the line, starting with /boot/linux26, right? That didn't help unfortunately.

Do you have more ideas I could try?

Best

Code:
nomodeset
... doesnt show these artifacts on the screen, but it wont continue either.
It shows that it got an IP via DHCP and now it just sits there.

- Ryzen 3950X
- ASUS X570 ROG x570-F
- Nvidia RTX 2060 Super (Gigabyte)

So pretty new stuff, and yeah, as you said NVIDIA doesn't likes Linux a lot, especially on newer stuff..

It shows that it got an IP via DHCP and now it just sits there.

Yes, it's just a "visual" issue. You could try:

* Switch to another tty, to check if you get output there: CTRL + ALT + FX (where FX is F1, F2 and F3)

* Blacklist nvidiafb, add the following to the kernel command line module_blacklist=nvidiafb

Reactions: dsaXw2yHoF6o
* Switch to another tty, to check if you get output there: CTRL + ALT + FX (where FX is F1, F2 and F3)

* Blacklist nvidiafb, add the following to the kernel command line module_blacklist=nvidiafb

I've had no success. Thank you very much for your input.

To not extend this any further, i just grabbed an RX 480 from another computer and installed it with that one.

hi,

i have the same issue with a Nvidia GT710 card, the boot works fine until Promox graphical install interface it stays there or the host goes in an cycling reboot process .
When possible , I pressed Ctrl+Alt+F2 and i had sometime a message from Xorg saying : nvidiafb cannot request PCI regions
My config :
GigaByte 470M DS3H
Ryzen 7 2700
MSI GT710 2G

I tried , nomodeset and vga=791 on grub edition but nothing seems to work
I need this host quickly for my development team , what can i do ?

Can you try blacklisting that module, try adding module_blacklist=nvidiafb to the kernel command line on boot in GRUB.

Also use the Debug mode of the installer, maybe we can get some more information out.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!