Installation recommendations

macmarva

Oct 19, 2024
Good afternoon.
I want to perform an installation with HA for my virtual machines.
I have 2 HP DL20 servers, each with 64Gb of Ram, 1 480Gb SSD for Proxmox and another 2 1Tb SSD for my virtual machines.
I would even put a normal desktop PC for the quorum issue, but I didn't want to use it to offer storage.
The question is whether this shared storage for the HA nodes would be done with Ceph or ZFS?
What do you recommend and why?
I want security and that it gives me few problems.
Thank you

The question is whether this shared storage for the HA nodes would be done with Ceph or ZFS?
I believe that has been discussed already again and gain.

In short: for a small homelab go with ZFS replication. For Ceph you need things, you don't seem to have: 3 (better 5!) Nodes, multiple OSDs per Node beside the OS' (hopefully mirrored) ones, network faster than the usual one and ideally separated from normal network, ...

Two Node clusters are also talked about every few days. Do not forget to add a cluster-external "Quorum Device": https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Cluster_Manager#_corosync_external_vote_support + https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#_qdevice_technical_overview

Think also about adding a reliant backup system, ideally by creating a PBS on separate hardware. This one could supply that QDev easily, if it runs 24*7.

Best regards!

Reactions: Johannes S
Hello. This is not a laboratory, it is for production.
I can put that 3 team for quorum.
Each of those 2 servers has 6 network cards. 2 of them 10Gb.
I would like to be able to have raid for the operating system, but this will not be possible. It would have a total of 4 1TB disks (2 disks for each HP DL20).
For backup I have a qnap nas.
Thanks for your time.

Does the qnap supports virtualization? Then I would put a PBS vm in it, which also will provide the qdevice.
I would setup the two nodes like this:
-10 GBit for the ZFS replication, the vms will be replicated every Minute
- Two network cards for redundant corosync Networks
- build a zfs mirror raid out of the two 1 tb discs

HTH

Reactions: UdoB

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!