Installation problem for pve 8.2 on Dell R710

Tx_Sparky

May 13, 2024
PVE 8.2 failed on multiple tries on DELL R710 with proxmox-ve_8.2-1.iso. Validated sha256sum. Made boot usb with balenaEtcher-Portable-1.18.11 and rufus. Same issues. See screenshot here.

1715640272270.png
My workaround. Reverted to using proxmox-ve_8.1-2.iso. Same process to built boot USB with balenaEtcher. Installation succeeded first try.

I don't need help at this point as PVE 8.1 is installed. Just wanted to communicate the issue I had encountered.
I'm willing to troubleshoot if requested.

Last edited:
Hi,

thanks for the report! Unfortunately, the error message is a bit cut of to the right, which might contain useful information.

But this looks like a corrupt image in any case, as it fails to load some binary library. This can also indicate that the USB flash drive is simply bad (which with these cheap things, can easily happen) or even some bad memory stick.

It's not the flash drive. I can confirm that much. I'm having the exact same problem on my R710. Neither the GUI nor the TUI will start. I've tried multiple different USB flash drives created several different ways (etcher, dd, rufus, etc) and I get the same errors every time. If OP doesn't want to invest the time I can get you the full error message. Glad to know there's a workaround though.

EDIT: Correction...I'm getting all sorts of different errors. X fails to start, the TUI fails to start, and for seemingly different reasons depending on how I hold my head. I've gotten OP's error before, but for now I just used the workaround and moved on with my life.

Last edited:
For the record, I have 5 R710's that are running PVE 8.1.2 without issue I have an extra machine that was running 8.1.2 that I am trying to install 8.2 on. It gets as far as loading drivers, and what appears to be the initialization of the SAS Raid 5 array of 6 2TB disks on this machine, but does not appear to proceed further. I am going to be patient and see whether its the RAID array completion process or a driver issue that is the snag.

The trailing content on the monitor;

[ 2.99.0027] Run /init as init process
Welcome to the Proxmox VE 8.2 Installer
initial setup startup
mounting proc filesystem
mounting sys filesystem
EFI boot mode detected, mounting efivars filesystem
boot comandline: BOOT_IMAGE=//boot/linux 26 ro ramdisk_size=16777216 rw splash=verbose proxdebug vga=788
loading drivers: matroxfb_base pata_acpi megaraid_sas wmi ipmi_si ipmi_ssif mac_hid sr_mod uhci_hcd ehci_pci ufi_pstore serio_raw psmouse pcspkr intel_cstate aesni_intel sha1_ssse3 sha256_ssse3 ghash_clmulni_intel polyval_clmulni crc32_pclmul crct10dif_pclmul kvm_intel intel_powerclamp dcdbas
_

That's as far as it gets. The Dell server 1 line lcd display shows its hardware ID, and the the SAS disks continue to flicker but this is as far as the process gets, and I suspect that its a hung driver that should execute after "dcdbas" perhaps the coders have some insight as to what the hang is?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!