Installation on HP BL460c with a B140i Raid Controller

Micky-F-Baby

Mar 4, 2016
Hello everybody,

I just purchase a new HP Blade Server BL460c to go on a c7000 enclosure but I have a problem with his
Dynamic Smart Array B140i RAID Controller :

When activated and arrays configured, in installation of Proxmox 4.1, I still view my different drives as I never configured the raid.

HP gives some drivers for RHEL 6/7 or Ubuntu but I don't know how I can insert this drivers during the installation of Proxmox.

Do you have some idea how can I make it works ? Or I just can totally forget use this controllers with proxmox ?

Thank you
Kind regards,

Michael.

PS : Sorry for my poor English.

Hello everybody,

I just purchase a new HP Blade Server BL460c to go on a c7000 enclosure but I have a problem with his
Dynamic Smart Array B140i RAID Controller :

When activated and arrays configured, in installation of Proxmox 4.1, I still view my different drives as I never configured the raid.

HP gives some drivers for RHEL 6/7 or Ubuntu but I don't know how I can insert this drivers during the installation of Proxmox.

Do you have some idea how can I make it works ? Or I just can totally forget use this controllers with proxmox ?

Thank you
Kind regards,

Michael.

PS : Sorry for my poor English.
I don't have exactly the same model (B120i instead of B140i), but these budget controllers emulate RAID in software i.e. as part of the driver. HP does not provide drivers for Debian. Solution 1: Switch the RAID into AHCI mode - or - Solution 2: Buy a "real" RAID controller.

Dirk

ps: I'm running the controller in AHCI mode with ZFS

Thanks a lot for your answer.
Ok I didn't know that some controller emulates RAID... I will be more attentive next time I buy servers.

So I think I will do like you, AHCI and ZFS.

Kind Regards,
Michael.

dsi, I have HP G380G7 with P410i, and this controller is slow with SSD and doesn't support TRIM even after every firmware updated/upgraded.

direct AHCI would be faster and if you want mdadm - easy to manage.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!