Install Proxmox8 on top of debian12

StevieRay

Aug 4, 2023
I installed debian12, then installed proxmox8 over it, perhaps following directions on proxmox web-site. It blasted my ethernet connection, leaving me with only wi-fi. then i did a clean install of proxmox8, then installed gnome, plasma, and cinnamon. It blasted the ethernet again.

I am unable to find the instructions I followed, perhaps the install recognized the debian12 on disk and offered to install over it?

Can anyone point to instructions for installing proxmox8 on top of debian12?

gnome, plasma, and cinnamon. It blasted the ethernet again.
I'd take an educated guess and say that one of those three desktop environments pull in the network-manager or another such package managing networks, while Proxmox VE relies on ifupdown2 package.

Note that while using Proxmox VE as workstation including a desktop environment is possible (all our developers do so), it might need some special care with the more invasive ones (most of our devs use a simple tiling-window manager like i3 or sway that is rather non-invasive).

Maybe start out with just installing one of those DEs, like GNOME and see if it still works then.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!