Install Proxmox VE 8.1 on DELL PE R610

barneby

Dec 3, 2023
Hello,

I'm trying to install Proxmox VE 8.1 on a DELL PE R610 server.
According to the wiki, there is an issue with intel_iommu on this server, and it needs to be disabled.

My procedure is as follows: in the Proxmox boot menu, I press the 'e' key and add the parameter intel_iommu=off to the line starting with linux. Then, I boot by pressing F10.
grub-iommu.PNG

However, the boot always freezes after "loading drivers." It seems that the intel_iommu=off parameter is not being applied.
iommu_crash.PNG

What am I doing wrong?

Has anyone successfully installed PVE 7.2 or higher on a DELL PE R610?

Hi RolandK
Thank you for your answer.
Sorry to be late.
I have removed these options and there is no more details
I guess the operation is hanging as the state (screenshot) is the same after waiting 10 minutes

Attachments

• 20240405_154101.jpeg
    20240405_154101.jpeg
    174.7 KB · Views: 6
Hi,

can you maybe try booting with the nomodeset kernel parameter additionally set? See also the accompanying section in our admin guide.

Since it hangs after loading drivers, it might be an issue regarding the graphics drivers. Although it is the Matrox driver (which generally is not very problematic), it's good to eliminate another potential error source in any case.

Also, if that doesn't work, can you try the regular Debian 12(.5) installer and see if that works? In that case, you can then also install Proxmox VE on top of Debian 12.

Thanks for your help

[1] If i run the terminal UI with nomodeset

- first error during the startup : could not insert 'polyval_clmulni: No sucge device
error_1.jpg

- second error is that the bootloader script does not find the ISO (it should be itself ?)

error_2.jpg

I can not use the front usb ports as the server is not able to boot on these ports, i must use internal usb port and it looks like the bootloader does not find it (i do not know the device path of the internal usb)

internal_usb.jpeg

[2] debian 12.5 graphical installation starts successfully but the installation failed : installation corrupted but the sha512 checkusum is good... i will try the net install

Last edited:
second error is that the bootloader script does not find the ISO
debian 12.5 graphical installation starts successfully but the installation failed : installation corrupted
Both errors are simply due to a bad image on the USB, some way or another. That the Debian installer fails the same way is a very good indicator of that.

How did you copy the image to the USB flash drive?

Network booting might also solve that, otherwise I'd try another e.g. USB device. Or maybe the internal USB port is somewhat broken, that's possible too I guess.

I downloaded ISO with firefox on an ubuntu laptop then "cp ... ; umount ..." using command line into a usb with Ventoy installed

I will try with another usb key

Thanks

I downloaded ISO with firefox on an ubuntu laptop then "cp ... ; umount ..." using command line into a usb with Ventoy installed
I'd suggest to just use a simple dd as laid our in our guide: Prepare installation media

There have multiple reports already that Ventoy is a bit funky and just doesn't work all that well with our ISOs.

Hi

Sorry for the delay, back to the project after some distractions

After creating a usb stick with bootable proxmox (with no Ventoy), the graphical installation failed as well.
I tried the terminal installation, after answering the questions, the installation process starts and then get the error message

Code:
command unsquashfs -f -dest /target -i /cdrom/pve-base.squashfs failed with exit code 1 at /usr/share/perl5/Proxmox/Install.pm line 90B

I am wondering why the installation is using the cdrom whereas the ISO is on an usb stick (?)
There is a cdrom hardward device but it is empty.

If you have some idea... else i will try to install debian and proxmox on top debian as mentioned above.

Thanks.

Proxmox VE 7.4 ISO Installer on a usb bootable stick works
doing the
Code:
apt dist upgrade
to upgrade to the last version

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!