install proxmox ve 6.3 on debian (no lvm)

zephyr97

Apr 16, 2021
ive been trying to install proxmox onto debian and bump into a few issues. (i want to skip lvm and even uefi). please dont flame that i should just use the dvd/usb method. lvm/ uefi is not friendly to the environment that i have).

it seems to work except i can NOT get the CDs listed as an item in storage.cfg.

so could you give me a path to.
1. are they cookbook instructions that i can follow for loading on debian.

2. what is the magic setting to set so that i can upload CDs.

ive been trying to install proxmox onto debian and bump into a few issues. (i want to skip lvm and even uefi). please dont flame that i should just use the dvd/usb method. lvm/ uefi is not friendly to the environment that i have).

it seems to work except i can NOT get the CDs listed as an item in storage.cfg.

so could you give me a path to.
1. are they cookbook instructions that i can follow for loading on debian.

2. what is the magic setting to set so that i can upload CDs.
couple observations.
1. the proxmox manual makes several references to being able to load proxmox on debian. but provides no details. i treated the situtation as a mere apt install exercise. i also added all the tools for a gui environemt with installs of task-dnome-desktop, samba, gparted. this gave me a standalone proxmox hypervisor. getting to a vm was a mere use of the local web browser.
2. the only thing that doesnt work is being able to upload CDs. and that is surprising since the only switch, if you will, is the iso specification in /etc/pve/storage.cfg. and that does NOT work.

sooo. what am i missing. why no CDs in the content.

the manual for installing on debian is here: https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Buster

where did you put the isos? where did you try to upload it?
if you have enabled the 'iso' content type on a storage (e.g. local) you can go to the storage in the tree, select 'iso images' and press 'upload'

i did the manual steps (except for the optional part of unload debian kernel). ive also noted that iso is was entered for the storage.cfg records for the several dir: locations). on none of them do i find a CD upload menu.
however, i did find that if i copied my iso to template/iso dir in the proxmox area, that i can find and use the iso. the quirk was that the cd/upload option was missing.

i did the manual steps (except for the optional part of unload debian kernel). ive also noted that iso is was entered for the storage.cfg records for the several dir: locations). on none of them do i find a CD upload menu.
however, i did find that if i copied my iso to template/iso dir in the proxmox area, that i can find and use the iso. the quirk was that the cd/upload option was missing.
Switch from "Server View" to "Storage View". Select your Storage in the menu. Click on "Iso Images". There should be an "Upload" button.

one item missing from the instructions on how to load proxmox on top of debian was the network details. i found a reference in the manual that one adjustment to the proxmox install was the inclusion of the vmbr0 bridge interface in the /etc/networks/interface. after pasting in the code, the proxmox on debian works.

maybe the manual should note in the install section what is needed in addition to mere code.

now a very happy camper
tks

There are some thing that come shipped with the Proxmox VE ISO but are not installed as a dependency if you install the proxmox-ve Debain package. For example ksmtuned to use RAM deduplication, postfix to be able to send mail and so on.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!