Install Proxmox on a 2 drive ZFS mirror if one is a NVMe SSD and the other is a SATA SSD or stick to 1 NVMe SSD and use the SATA SSD as simple BU?

dakazze

Nov 25, 2022
I am currently building my new home server around a miniPC (Xeon+ECC RAM) so my possibilities are limited. The PC has 2x m.2 slots and 1 SATA slot but I need one of the M.2 slots for a 6x SATA controller for my NAS Storage.
The install SSD will host Proxmox, my VMs and a bit of storage for the VMs, ISOs, etc.
So as I see it I can either set up a ZFS Mirror between a NVME SSD and a SATA SSD or skip the mirror and use the SATA SSD for a simple hypervisor and VM backup. (A few hours of downtime to restore a BU would be OK for my needs)
Oh and if I go the ZFS mirror route, do I need to do any partitioning for the above mentioned use?

What would you pros suggest? As a complete noob I would really appreciate your help!

I would make sure your backup is not IN the same computer, ideally not in the same physical or geographical area.

Will your SATA disk be fast enough to run your desired workload is the question? If so, then I don’t see a problem, if not then perhaps use the SATA to boot, the NVMe for your VMs and then an external backup of both.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!