[SOLVED] install not finding hard disk

jermlac

Sep 14, 2024
I am working on installing PM VE 8.2-2 on a Dell Optiplex Micro 7050. I installed a single 256Gb NVMe drive into the single m.2 slot and have left the single SATA slot open for storage later.

Whenever I boot the installer in GUI mode, it tells me 'No Hard Disk found!' and 'The installer could not find a supported hard disk.'. Whenever I do CTRL+ALT+F2 these are the errors it appears to list after it says the log file and config directory...

Openbox-Message: Unable to find a valid menu file "/var/lib/openbox/debian-menu.xml"
no harddisks found
Could not determine the accessibility bus address
(II) AIGLX: Suspending AIGLX clients for VT switch

I feel like I have overlooked something simple. Whenever I boot up Windows on the SATA slot, it sees the NVMe drive available and the BIOS sees the NVMe drive on the m.2 bus.

I found the issue. In the BIOS I had the Intel RAID option enabled for SATA Operation. I change it to AHCI and Proxmox VE could install as expected.

Reactions: UdoB

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!