initial setup

AndyPC

May 27, 2024
Hi all,
I'm configuring a server to install proxmox.
These are the first installations I've done.
Looking at various tutorials and guides, I see different options during the installation.
Since I would like to do it correctly, I ask you for support.
I thought of dedicating two disks for installing proxmox in zfs raid1 and two more for the data, always in raid 1.

I've seen on various sites that some set hdsize, swapsize and maxvz.
I don't understand if it's really necessary to touch these parameters
or if leave the two sata for the os (where will the VMs also be)
and the other two sas for the data, without touching anything.
The server doesn't have heavy loads, we are just two computers that do shared data storage.

What do you suggest?
thank you

hey,

Can you be more explicit about your final goal ? Switching from baremetal to virtualized services is, alone, a long road, where you need to don't have problem with tests.

Many backups are your key for fully enderstand your stuff manager withoutt risk of any loose of datas.

Hi,
you're right, let me explain better.
I would like to understand if:
- it is better to have two small sata and install proxmox on them in raid1 and the VMs elsewhere
- or if I should put the larger disks and have both os and vm on them.

In addition to all this, of course, have two more disks in mirror for the data.
I'm in the phase where I'm mounting the disks to install proxmox and I don't know how to do it in the right way.
Thanks

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!