Info best lan setting for pfSense

tonycav

Oct 4, 2022
I would like to install pfsense as a VM on my Dell 5070 SFF server
Currently I only have the integrated Intel I219-V network card to which I would like to add a second card
I would like to ask whether to buy a dual gigabit network card or add another Intel card with a single port?
Thank you very much for your time

Just for the record, you don't actually need any additional hardware to do this if you have a managed switch. You can just create virtual NICs off of the one i-219V. But adding additional NICs is definitely easier.

To answer your original question, get a dual NIC card, or add two single port cards. whichever is easier to do and/or cheaper. You will appreciate having 3 NICs total if you want to virtualize pfSense on Proxmox. You can use the 219V for the management interface of Proxmox, and pass the other two NICs directly through to PfSense, one for WAN and one for LAN. I have done this before and its dead easy. You would hook the WAN NIC directly to your cable modem or other WAN device. the LAN NIC would connect to your switch to feed internet connectivity to all the devices on the switch. You would also use a separate connection to the switch to feed the 219V for access to the Proxmox node.

Reactions: tonycav
All very clear
I can only say thank you
Preferences for dual lan card?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!