Individual node in cluster doesn't see shared storage

ravenssettle

Feb 25, 2024
I have a three node cluster where they're named/numbered prox0-2. I have a TrueNAS server in a separate machine. Nodes 0 and 2 see my Share, but node 1 doesn't. In the server view list it shows a ? over Share (prox1).

Additionally I'm having trouble putting the share as the location for saving my VM/LXC data as my machines fail during creation, but one step at a time I suppose

When I click on Share (prox1) I get "mount error: refer to the mount.cifs(8) (e.g. man mount.cifs) manual page and kernel log messages (dmesg) (500)"

I'm not sure where my next steps should be and would appreciate any advice. I'm going to go see what's in the kernel log messages and I'll post here if I find anything.

Last edited:
Please specify your questions and share some more information (logs, errors, screenshots). If node 0 and 2 see the share, whats different on node1? did you check, switch, cables, vlans etc. what share are we talking bout? NFS?

Sorry about that - accidentally posted before I was done typing and I've added some more info to the OP.

Share is SMB/CIFS. Switch/cables/vlans are all good. I can connect to any of the nodes and bounce between them. Below is my /etc/pve/storage.cfg from prox0:

GNU nano 7.2 /etc/pve/storage.cfg
dir: local
path /var/lib/vz
content iso,vztmpl,backup
shared 1

lvmthin: local-lvm
thinpool data
vgname pve
content rootdir,images
nodes prox3,prox0,prox2,prox1

cifs: Share
path /mnt/pve/Share
server truenas
share Prox
content images,iso,vztmpl,rootdir,snippets
prune-backups keep-all=1
username prox

pbs: Backups
datastore Backup
server prox2
content backup
encryption-key "gotta rotate that now - oops"
prune-backups keep-all=1
username root

And prox1:

GNU nano 7.2 /etc/pve/storage.cfg
dir: local
path /var/lib/vz
content iso,vztmpl,backup
shared 1

lvmthin: local-lvm
thinpool data
vgname pve
content rootdir,images
nodes prox3,prox0,prox2,prox1

cifs: Share
path /mnt/pve/Share
server truenas
share Prox
content images,iso,vztmpl,rootdir,snippets
prune-backups keep-all=1
username prox

pbs: Backups
datastore Backup
server prox2
content backup
encryption-key "gotta rotate that now - oops"
prune-backups keep-all=1
username root

Removing and readding the storage doesn't help. I'm considering deleting the node, reinstalling Prox, and then readding the node, but I've had bad luck when trying that before and had to reload the whole cluster from zero.

Does anyone know what commands I should run to show y'all what's going on?

Last edited:
Removing and readding the storage doesn't help. I'm considering deleting the node, reinstalling Prox, and then readding the node, but I've had bad luck when trying that before and had to reload the whole cluster from zero.

Does anyone know what commands I should run to show y'all what's going on?
I uninstalled and reinstalled Proxmox on this server. Still can't mount my share.

Here's the error from syslog:
Aug 07 16:11:50 prox1 pve-firewall[915]: status update error: iptables_restore_cmdlist: Try `iptables-restore -h' or 'iptables-restore --help' for more information.
Aug 07 16:11:51 prox1 pvestatd[935]: mount error: Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs) and kernel log messages (dmesg)

When trying to create a VM I got an error saying "mount error: cifs filesystem not supported by the system" so I'll chase that error for a bit.

When I'm looking in dmesg I don't see anything about my network mounting. Can anyone let me know what to look for?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!