Incremental backups to rotating USB drives

fussel132

Sep 26, 2024
Hello,

so after some research I was not able to find a good solution for what is a rather simple situation:

I've worked with Veeam in the past and for the setup I always had two or three external USB drives where one of them was connected to the server and the other one(s) were locked up or at another location (to keep data even on theft/physical destruction). Veeam would then incrementally back up HyperV VMs to the connected drive and once or twice a week these drives were swapped with each other.

Is it possible to create something similar with PBS? The best solution I could think of right now would be to configure fstab to auto-mount the drives when connected to for example /mnt/drive1 and /mnt/drive2, create two datastores (Drive1 and Drive2) and then on PVE create a backup job for each datastore. But I'd expect to get errors as there would always be one backup job which could not run as the datastore is offline. Or will PVE count the backup to the PBS instance as successful if one of the jobs succeeded? I don't think that's how it works though...

Is there a more elegant solution (or a solution for this at all)?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,
Is it possible to create something similar with PBS? The best solution I could think of right now would be to configure fstab to auto-mount the drives when connected to for example /mnt/drive1 and /mnt/drive2, create two datastores (Drive1 and Drive2) and then on PVE create a backup job for each datastore. But I'd expect to get errors as there would always be one backup job which could not run as the datastore is offline. Or will PVE count the backup to the PBS instance as successful if one of the jobs succeeded? I don't think that's how it works though...
Hi,
in addition to the suggested solution linked to by @dakralex, what you could do is have a permanent datastore located on the PBS, with a rather limited retention period. Backups will be performed to that datastore and are easily accessible for fast restore. Add dedicated datastores for the USB disk and configure a local sync job [0], to pull the contents from the permanent local datastore to the datastore located on the removable drive. That can have a longer retention period and garbage collection settings, and you can filter which backup snapshots to sync to the disk. If you need a snapshot not available on the permanent local datastore, you can either add the removable datastore as storage to you PVE or sync the required backup snapshots back to the permanent datastore and restore from there.

Currently removable datastores are not supported, there is however already a patch series which will make that feature available in future versions, see [1].

[0] https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/managing-remotes.html#sync-jobs
[1] https://lore.proxmox.com/pbs-devel/20240904141155.350454-1-h.laimer@proxmox.com/

Reactions: dakralex

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!