Inconsistent Import of ESXi guest to Proxmox

askitee

Apr 27, 2024
I have a number of migrations to do from ESXi to proxmox, and have setup a LAB to refine the procedures I will use.

One issue I have is that versions of Windows Server BDC's are changing their Network profile to Public. On occasions it will assign the Domain Network Profile in the migrated guest, other times It defaults to public and refuses to Authenticate to the PDC.

Before shutting down the ESXi guest should I change the adapter to something? I have been deleting the existing adapter.

I there a consistent method to ensure it migrates and detects the correct net Profile?

Last edited:
I've migrated dozen of Windows Servers now, including both secondairy domain-controllers and RO-Domain Controllers.
Secondary domain-controllers are usually quite easy to do, just log into the shell through ESX beforehand, and then log in through the shell afterwards once to verify/set the correct network-settings and optionally location (restart the Network Location Awareness and Network List Services, might have to just kill the processes of both if they're stubborn)

For RO-DC's there are three options that I know of, since Administrators are not allowed to have their credentials cached on those (by default)

Option 1, the DHCP-option (easier but requires a bit of timing)
  • Reboot first (to clean up anything to-do)
  • Install Virtio-Drivers and QEMU-Agent and un-install the VMWare-drivers
  • (optionally, save your network-settings with ipconfig /all > C:\temp\ipconfig.txt beforehand just in case)
  • Shut down the VM
  • Start Migration, make sure to select the network-adaptor as virtio (both for stability and so that it is "another device", and don't use live migration.
  • On your router or on a DHCP-Device, configure a DHCP-Pool with the size of 1 IP, the BDC's, with the correct subnet mask, gateway, DNS-Servers (including the 127.0.0.1 secondairy/tertiary) and domain-/network-name.
    • Optionally, if the DHCP-device has the option, just reserve the IP based on MAC beforehand.
  • Wait for the RO-DC to be ready to boot, start the DHCP-server and then the server, verify in the DHCP-Logs that the mac of the RO-DC is registering
  • Log in to your RO-DC as normal, then set all the now DHCP network-settings back to static.
Option 2, RO-DC admin:
  • Create a RO-DC admin account beforehand (Example: [1] )
  • Follow the steps of 1 minus the DHCP-Stuff.
  • Fix settings and reboot
Option 3: DSRM:
  • Steps of Option 1 minus DHCP
  • Get into DSRM and log in with the DSRM-password
    • Tip, while still on ESX before the shutdown you can set it to go into there next boot with bcdedit /set safeboot dsrepair
  • Fix settings and reboot normal
    • If the above command was used, reset it with bcdedit /deletevalue safeboot
[1] https://mctexpert.blogspot.com/2010/01/how-to-delegate-admin-on-rodc.html

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!