[SOLVED] Impossible to find image disk in CEPH mount

chevinou

Dec 28, 2020
Hi, I hope you understand me (My English is bad!).

I am Yohan, I am IT manager in France, and I have a trouble with ProxMox.

My Network Manager is dead in September in a terrible crash of car and our work (And form) about the network. And, he deploys a proxmox solution with CEPH Disk, but, impossible to find files of vm in SSH. I watch on google for a solution, but the folder /var/lib/vz is empty.

Have you an idea where I find this image of the VM?

Thx a lot

The VM disks are stored as RBD volumes and not as files. What do you need to achieve?

Okay. There are several possible ways to do this.

I assume you want to migrate the VMs to a completely different PVE instance and not within the same cluster.

Backup / Restore:​

The easiest way is to create a backup of the VM and import it on the other PVE instance.

To make the backup accessible on the other PVE instance, you can use a network share which is configured on both instances (Cluster with Ceph and the other non Ceph PVE).

Only use this share for the migration and not for regular backups. For regular backups you should use different network shares for each PVE instance / cluster. This helps to avoid overwriting / deleting backups of the other instance / cluster.

Clonezilla​

You could create a new VM with the same specs and boot both with Clonezilla and use it to copy the disks contents.

dd​

Similar but you need to know more what you are doing would be to boot the source VM from a Linux Live CD and the new one as well and then use the dd command to copy the disk of the VM to the new VM.

export disk image from Ceph​

with rbd -p <pool name> list you get a list of all the VM disk images present on that pool.

You can then use rbd -p <poolname> export <disk image name> <path/filename> to export the disk to a raw file and import that on the other PVE instance. For example with qm importdisk.

See this forum thread about the export and this PVE wiki page about importing to VMs might be insightful as well, regarding the qm importdisk command and other options.

I hope this helps :)

Reactions: Tmanok
Okay. There are several possible ways to do this.

I assume you want to migrate the VMs to a completely different PVE instance and not within the same cluster.

Backup / Restore:​

The easiest way is to create a backup of the VM and import it on the other PVE instance.

To make the backup accessible on the other PVE instance, you can use a network share which is configured on both instances (Cluster with Ceph and the other non Ceph PVE).

Only use this share for the migration and not for regular backups. For regular backups you should use different network shares for each PVE instance / cluster. This helps to avoid overwriting / deleting backups of the other instance / cluster.

Clonezilla​

You could create a new VM with the same specs and boot both with Clonezilla and use it to copy the disks contents.

dd​

Similar but you need to know more what you are doing would be to boot the source VM from a Linux Live CD and the new one as well and then use the dd command to copy the disk of the VM to the new VM.

export disk image from Ceph​

with rbd -p <pool name> list you get a list of all the VM disk images present on that pool.

You can then use rbd -p <poolname> export <disk image name> <path/filename> to export the disk to a raw file and import that on the other PVE instance. For example with qm importdisk.

See this forum thread about the export and this PVE wiki page about importing to VMs might be insightful as well, regarding the qm importdisk command and other options.

I hope this helps :)
Thx for your reply

Solution: Export disk image from Ceph is exactly what I search

It's ok ^^

So sorry for my ignorance

Thx a lot for your support ^^

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!