Implementing a multi-node private network using SDN

NickyDoes

May 16, 2022
Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
I'm new to SDN, and passably proficient in networking, but learning.

Currently, I have one Proxmox VE v8.2 node with multiple networks (bridges) - LAN, SAN, security. Each routes to a physical adapter or a VLAN on an adapter. I don't have a private network - one that is only for VM/LXC - VM/LXC communications, e.g. database. I've created a bridge with no IP addr, but it seems to fail with I start a machine attached to it, though I haven't pursued this approach further. It seems I have a few options. What are the advantages of the SDN approach?

Option 1: single node network using a VM bridge:

1. Create a VM bridge (e.g. vmbr1)
  2. Add a second network adapter (e.g. net1) each VM and attach to vmbr1.
  3. Route private traffic through the private network adapter.

Advantage: easy to set up and maintain
Drawback: doesn't traverse Proxmox nodes

Option 2: multi-node network using SDN:
  1. ???

Advantage: correctly uses the SDN infrastructure, ready for expansion, ???
Drawback: something new to learn, appears to be more complex, at least initially, fairly new, not as well documented or explained by the community

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!