iGPU Passthrough (with Display)?

rastolpho

Sep 10, 2022
Hello everyone!

I've been using Proxmox for just about a month, learning everyday about this awesome Hypervisor.

I have a question in regards to GPU passthrough, more specifically, iGPU.

I've followed all guides, edited all the right files, set the VM according to guides and I do get the iGPU to work on Windows 11.

(Guide I followed: https://3os.org/infrastructure/prox...irtual-machine-igpu-passthrough-configuration)

I installed Chrome Remote Desktop on the VM, I can login and I see the Intel UHD630 (It's a i7-9700k Processor). Also works via RDP (I see the Remote Graphics Adapter on Device Manager).

My question is if we're able to get a feed out of that VM via the HDMI or DisplayPort?

When I boot Proxmox I do see the 1st 2 lines or so, then loses the signal as it sends the GPU over to the VM but I get no signal.

I don't necessarily need the display to be used (I have an HDMI dummy that I can use), but if Windows 11 doesn't detect a display of some sort, it boots up at 1024x768 resolution (RDP will change it, but once I log off, it goes back to 1024x768) so I have to go into settings and change to the 1920x1080 that I want to every time it reboots.

I'm using that VM as a Game Server, more specifically Steam Link and when I run the games while the resolution is at 1024x768, that's the max it will go, unless I go and change the desktop over to 1920x1080 first.

In short, just trying to avoid that extra step, unless anyone knows a way to forcibly set a resolution on bootup without have a display connected.

Also, my motherboard is an ASUS Z-390 E-Gaming. I tried setting the VM options in there for graphics to CPU, PCIE and other was Auto, none got me the picture..

Appreciate any input!

Edit: Also tried this Regedit change with VidPNSource options and nothing..

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

I've been using Proxmox for just about a month, learning everyday about this awesome Hypervisor.

I have a question in regards to GPU passthrough, more specifically, iGPU.

I've followed all guides, edited all the right files, set the VM according to guides and I do get the iGPU to work on Windows 11.

(Guide I followed: https://3os.org/infrastructure/prox...irtual-machine-igpu-passthrough-configuration)

I installed Chrome Remote Desktop on the VM, I can login and I see the Intel UHD630 (It's a i7-9700k Processor). Also works via RDP (I see the Remote Graphics Adapter on Device Manager).

My question is if we're able to get a feed out of that VM via the HDMI or DisplayPort?

When I boot Proxmox I do see the 1st 2 lines or so, then loses the signal as it sends the GPU over to the VM but I get no signal.

I don't necessarily need the display to be used (I have an HDMI dummy that I can use), but if Windows 11 doesn't detect a display of some sort, it boots up at 1024x768 resolution (RDP will change it, but once I log off, it goes back to 1024x768) so I have to go into settings and change to the 1920x1080 that I want to every time it reboots.

I'm using that VM as a Game Server, more specifically Steam Link and when I run the games while the resolution is at 1024x768, that's the max it will go, unless I go and change the desktop over to 1920x1080 first.

In short, just trying to avoid that extra step, unless anyone knows a way to forcibly set a resolution on bootup without have a display connected.

Also, my motherboard is an ASUS Z-390 E-Gaming. I tried setting the VM options in there for graphics to CPU, PCIE and other was Auto, none got me the picture..

Appreciate any input!

Edit: Also tried this Regedit change with VidPNSource options and nothing..
The same problem is available. Any progress?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!