i915 sriov kernel compile issues during update

Herpderper

Aug 24, 2024
Hello all,

I have an issue that I've seen referenced a number of times while searching throughout the forum, but I don't have the technical know-how to fix it for my specific situation. I have a Prox environment (single host) that is desperately in need of update (currently 6.2 - it's been locked away for a bit), but when I first set it up I had attempted to configure pass-through for both the integrated video drivers and for a Coral edge TPU. From what I can tell, those driver/configuration changes are preventing compilation/boot during upgrade.

How can I clear or update those drivers on my system so that I can bring it up-to-date, and perhaps even successfully pass through the devices I attempted to pass through in the first place hahah...

Here is my specific build error:

Building module:
Cleaning build area...
make -j16 KERNELRELEASE=6.2.16-20-pve -j16 -C /lib/modules/6.2.16-20-pve/build M=/var/lib/dkms/i915-sriov-dkms/6.1/build KVER=6.2.16-20-pve.......................(bad exit status: 2)
Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 6.2.16-20-pve (x86_64)
Consult /var/lib/dkms/i915-sriov-dkms/6.1/build/make.log for more information.
Error! One or more modules failed to install during autoinstall.
Refer to previous errors for more information.
dkms: autoinstall for kernel: 6.2.16-20-pve failed!
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms exited with return code 11
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postinst.d at /var/lib/dpkg/info/proxmox-kernel-6.2.16-20-pve.postinst line 20.
dpkg: error processing package proxmox-kernel-6.2.16-20-pve (--configure):
installed proxmox-kernel-6.2.16-20-pve package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 2
Setting up proxmox-kernel-6.8.12-1-pve-signed (6.8.12-1) ...
Examining /etc/kernel/postinst.d.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms 6.8.12-1-pve /boot/vmlinuz-6.8.12-1-pve
dkms: running auto installation service for kernel 6.8.12-1-pve.
Sign command: /lib/modules/6.8.12-1-pve/build/scripts/sign-file
Signing key: /var/lib/dkms/mok.key
Public certificate (MOK): /var/lib/dkms/mok.pub

Any help is appreciated.

Consult /var/lib/dkms/i915-sriov-dkms/6.1/build/make.log for more information.
this file would probably give more hints as to what exacrtly fails, but i think in general the dkms driver may not be compatible with the 6.2 kernel? since it seems the build for 6.8 works, only for 6.2 it doesn't

Yes, I understand that, what I'm asking for is help removing the old driver (or updating it) to get from where I am to where I need to be.

I don't know the right commands to remove or update the dkms driver :/

do you want to remove the old kernel or the driver? there is AFAICS only one version of the dkms driver installed (in /var/lib/dkms/i915-sriov-dkms/). how to remove that depends on how you installed it (probably refer to the docs of the driver itself)

to remove an older kernel you can do 'apt remove <kernel-package>'

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!