I/O Cmd (0x8)...I/O error

Smash_Override

Feb 13, 2023
Problem...maybe: Soooo looking at the screenshot...is my M.2 failing or just junk to begin with? Or is this normal? Can you tell I'm new? From the terminal I am getting the error listed below (also in attachment)

nvme0n1: I/O Cmd(0x8) @ LBA 7992285696, 256 blocks, I/O Error (sct 0x0 / sc 0x80)
critical target error, dev nvme0n1, sector 7992285696 op 0x9:(WRITE_ZEROES) flags 0x0 phys_seg 0 prio class 2

Prior to installing proxmox I wiped the M.2 from the bios. PVE appears to be working fine...but then again I don't have anything on it yet. No VMs, no containers, nadda. Thought I would ask if this thing is going to eat it before deploying a bunch of stuff on it. As always, Thanks for the help.

Config:
Proxmox PVE 8.1.3
CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2990WX 32-Core Processor
MB: ASROCK X399
RAM: 64GB
1xM.2 4TB hosting PVE 8.1.3
(unplugged) Storage: 1x 4TB Spinning Rust that was hosting Proxmox 7.2.3 before I installed the M.2 and a fresh install of PVE. The little gremlin inside started knocking on the drive shell wanting out I guess. Yeah, R/W head is hitting the drive case.
3x 12TB Spinning Rust TrueNAS Storage

Attachments

• NVME Crit Target Err.jpeg
    NVME Crit Target Err.jpeg
    605.5 KB · Views: 10
  • NVME Stick.jpeg
    NVME Stick.jpeg
    331.7 KB · Views: 10
What does SMART say about NVMe?

If you are of the opinion that it cannot be defective, it is always a good idea to take it out of the slot and clean the contacts.

Interesting update. I rebooted the machine and haven't had the problem since. I wonder what that was all about?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!