I Killed my PVE, by adding wrong device

intercode

Jan 30, 2019
Hi,

i might have killed my entire PVE setup.

I was trying to add a BT device to a VM - but i might have added the wrong device.

It stalled the system, and after reboot - i am getting a sh!t load of error messeges.
ect. Failed to write to blocx xxxxx
filesystm is in read only mode

on the host, i am promptet with the login "screen" but it just blinks and prompts me for login again.
if i type in wrong password, i get prompted that the password is woing.
but it keeps dumping, "fialed to reloacate journal etc etc...

is there anyway to revover from this mistake?
i have attached a picture

Attachments

• IMG20240806191243 (2).jpg
    IMG20240806191243 (2).jpg
    966.3 KB · Views: 8
Did you add a USB device or a PCIe device to the VM? Is your boot disk USB or an internal drive?

If your boot disk is not USB and you tried to add a USB device to your VM, I cant see how this should have bricked your system. This looks more like your boot drive just broke.

Thanks for your snap reply

I have added a raw PCIe device
the boot disk is internal nvme disk

Thanks for your snap reply

I have added a raw PCIe device
the boot disk is internal nvme disk
you could try booting from a Linux (eg Ubuntu) Live USB Stick, edit the qemu config and remove the passthrough line

Last edited:
thanks...

i will give it a try...

do you by any chance, know where the file is located ?

thanks...

i will give it a try...

do you by any chance, know where the file is located ?
Code:
/etc/pve/nodes/<node-name>/qemu-server/<vm-id>.conf
if this node is not part of a cluster.

If it is part of a cluster, you could try the following

- power off the defective node
- on a second node, go to the above path and edit the file
- boot the defective node again.

This might lead corosync to sync the config before the VM is started and get the updated config without the passthrough line.

Reactions: Kingneutron
I was trying to add a BT device to a VM
Was that VM setup to Start at boot?

If It was not, & from your output I assume you have rebooted the PVE host (forced power off?), then editing the above passthrough line in the VM config, will make no difference to your issue, since that VM is anyway not running/started when you reboot the host. The damage you are seeing is historic from when the VM was actually running.

If however, it was set to Start at boot, then when you edit that VM's config set it NOT to Start at boot, & then reboot your entire host. You may then have some luck in your PVE coming back to life.

All in all, I'd get your backups out, because unfortunately most likely you are looking at a reinstall.

Did you just add that raw PCIe in the VM's config while attempting that BT passthrough? If you did some other changes to the host's config, you may have to reverse them too.

Reactions: Kingneutron
thanks.

i have attached a picture.. i dont know where to look for the file. i guess that i have to mount som sort of disk first ?

no cluster - stand alone setup

Attachments

• IMG20240806205250 (1).jpg
    IMG20240806205250 (1).jpg
    965.1 KB · Views: 4
Was that VM setup to Start at boot?

If It was not, & from your output I assume you have rebooted the PVE host (forced power off?), then editing the above passthrough line in the VM config, will make no difference to your issue, since that VM is anyway not running/started when you reboot the host. The damage you are seeing is historic from when the VM was actually running.

If however, it was set to Start at boot, then when you edit that VM's config set it NOT to Start at boot, & then reboot your entire host. You may then have some luck in your PVE coming back to life.

All in all, I'd get your backups out, because unfortunately most likely you are looking at a reinstall.

Did you just add that raw PCIe in the VM's config while attempting that BT passthrough? If you did some other changes to the host's config, you may have to reverse them too.
yes they ware set to start at boot... do you know where i edit the file for not start at boot?

Maybe just disable VT-d/IOMMU in the motherboard BIOS. Then the VMs with passthrough will not start and you can edit your files in /etc/pve/, because those are only there when the PVE services start successfully.

thanks.

i have attached a picture.. i dont know where to look for the file. i guess that i have to mount som sort of disk first ?

no cluster - stand alone setup

your pve-root lvm is mounted under /media/ubuntu/d51...
Navigate to this folder, then etc/pve/nodes/<nodename>/qemu-server.

Edit the .conf file of the VM and remove the passthrough line.

Maybe just disable VT-d/IOMMU in the motherboard BIOS. Then the VMs with passthrough will not start and you can edit your files in /etc/pve/, because those are only there when the PVE services start successfully.
damn... that did the host booting. but i can not access the webserver. but i have access now to the filesystem.
but do you know where to look for that config file ? please se attached picture. thanks :)

Attachments

• IMG20240806211721 (1).jpg
    IMG20240806211721 (1).jpg
    885.4 KB · Views: 4
Happy you got it solved. Next time be careful what changes you make & secondly with passthrough specifically never set that VM to run at start, till you've fully tested the VM to be running successfully. That way you can (usually!) just reboot the host to start again.

Maybe tag prefix the thread-title with [SOLVED], (upper right hand corner under title).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!