I don't understand permissions between host and LXCs

Aug 7, 2024
I've usually ended up just running my containers as privileged, since it makes things work, but I don't want to keep doing that.

Just as a generic example, since container content is irrelevant here. I have a folder on my NAS mounted in /mnt/pve/backups. I want this folder to be writeable from a container. On the Synology side, the folder was created by the backup user, and is owned by backup:users. On the host side it is owned by root:root, and the same inside the container if I just map it with:

mp0: /mnt/pve/backups, mp=/backups

But of course it's not writeable.

I've tried various guides and tutorials, but I don't understand enough about what I'm doing to understand why they don't work.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!