I can't access the Proxmox GUI via VPN but I can via SSH

aeoris

Jan 13, 2024
Hello.

I have a little poltergeist that I am not able to understand.

I have installed Proxmox VE on an HP DL380 server and without problem. It works fluidly and I can connect via web to the GUI and via SSH without any problem.

From another location, I connect to the server's network via VPN by WireGuard. Obviously I can access the entire network without problem. But when I access the Proxmox GUI I cannot log in, it gives me a Login error. It doesn't accept my credentials.
Looking in the browser it gives me a 401 error. That is, I can reach the server but it won't let me log in.

The funny thing is that I can access it via ssh perfectly with the credentials.

And no, I am not writing the password wrong ;), and it is not a firewall or VPN problem, since I can access the GUI (but not log in) and I can enter via SSH without a problem.

Does anyone have any ideas or can think of what could be happening or any tests I can do? The truth is that I have no idea where to do more tests.

Thank you very much for the help.

If you access it via SSH, what is in the Logs? Can you log in when your onsite? Do you have poorly separated or incorrectly routed networks and are you trying to login to your local one? Did you choose the right realm?

If you access it via SSH, what is in the Logs?
Nothing relevant regarding the login. What's more, from a machine with RDP within the same network I can access the GUI OK.

Can you log in when your onsite?
Yes, as I said, without problem.

Do you have poorly separated or incorrectly routed networks and are you trying to login to your local one?
No, sure that no.

Did you choose the right realm?
Yes. Sure.

The problem is with the VPN. And I don't see much sense in it.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!