Hyperconvergence Setup

rbjohnson78

Aug 8, 2022
I'm testing a HCI setup of proxmox with ceph and a fully routed setup. I have a 3 node cluster and 1 VM I'm testing with. I was under the impression that if a host failed and the VM's running on them would stay running, and just move to another host. Is this not the case? Or do you think I'm missing something? I have HA enabled as well for the VM, and maybe that is not correct?

I was under the impression that if a host failed and the VM's running on them would stay running, and just move to another host. Is this not the case?
I don't know where you got the impression but I don't think it works that way. This has been discussed before on the forum and there is a HA simulator mentioned in the manual to try stuff out: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#_ha_simulator

If a host fails, it might be in any kind of states (for example a power wire failed and it turned off instantly). Once the quorum decides the node is not working properly (after a minute or so without being able to reach it), the VMs are restarted on another node. The node itself reboots when it detects that it's not part of the quorum (like not able to reach enough nodes, if it is still running, to prevent split-brain).

Reactions: UdoB

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!