Hyper-V with VE 5.0 stating "No accelerator found"?

Graymanflo

Apr 11, 2016
Europe
nasa.gov
Good afternoon.

My Debian 9 VM (inside Hyper-V) with VE 5.0 and virtualization enabled is giving me error "No accelerator found" although it should be enabled just fine:

$ lsmod | grep kvm
kvm.png

$ lscpu
lscpu.png

Cluster log:
cluster.png

Could there be anything that I've missed?
Thanks.

Have you got a supported version of Hyper-V for Nested Virtualization and enabled that? Otherwise you won't be able to run KVM machines. LXC containers will be fine however.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/virtualization/hyper-v-on-windows/user-guide/nested-virtualization

Also note that technically MS only support Hyper-V for Nested Virtualization so this still might not work, I've never tried it.

Virtualization applications other than Hyper-V are not supported in Hyper-V virtual machines, and are likely to fail. This includes any software that requires hardware virtualization extensions

Reactions: Graymanflo
I'll be happy to try anything else.

Abandon that M$ incarnation of what they think what virtualisation is and install PVE on the bare metal. I suppose PVE will run with hardware acceleration faster on a "off the shelf" laptop than it'll run in Hyper-V with deactivated KVM (which you can do to just play around with it, but it'll be dead slow).

I understand @LnxBil however I'm tied to Hyper-V for now and the performance is very poor without hardware acceleration as it's almost unresponsive, wouldn't there be anything I could do in Hyper-V to enable standard visualization (VT-x) as opposite to KVM?

Thanks.

I understand @LnxBil however I'm tied to Hyper-V for now and the performance is very poor without hardware acceleration as it's almost unresponsive, wouldn't there be anything I could do in Hyper-V to enable standard visualization (VT-x) as opposite to KVM?

I'd suggest to ask in a Hyper-V forum.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!