HP Hardware Specifications

alex purser

Mar 18, 2018
Hi
Im looking to build a 4 node proxmox ceph cluster from low cost low power HP hardware. I have decided to use DL360p G8. Firstly I am not sure whether the P420i disk controller is suitable - i think if it can be configured to HBA mode then it would be suitable. Q1) can it be configured to HBA mode Q2) if HBA mode achievable is it then suitable Q3) should i spend additional money on an HBA card? if so please advise... OK thats disk covered now Network!.. id quite like to use infiniband because 40Gbs looks tempting - but ive seen people having misery trying to get this working so perhaps 10Gbs card is the way to go... in either case your hardware recomendations appreciated. Ideally i like to hear from people with direct experience of the configs they recomend because there is no substitute for empirical data when dealing with hardware - and the internet is full of speculation!
Any other hardware advise also appreciated
Thanks in advance
Alex

1) From a quick search online: Yes.
2) HBA should be used instead of RAID for Ceph, see our documentation.
3) Depends. Our Ceph Benchmark might be interesting for you. It is definitely not full of speculation.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!