[SOLVED] HP DL380 G5 - Proxmox [Solved, thanks]

SpongeRob

Nov 29, 2021
Co. Donegal, Eire
O.K. where do I start? So I've dabbled a little with Proxmox before. I've got it running on a 6th gen HP ML330, i'm absolutely over the moon with this as a hypervisor. I couldn't be happier. I was over in England a couple of weeks ago and saw an advert on FB, somebody selling a 5th gen HP DL380 with no HDDs for £20. Additionally I had 7 spare 2.5" SAS drives sitting at home in Ireland. So I bought said server and though I'd put Proxmox on that as well.. This is where my troubles began, and also where my learning curve started.

1st attempt - Put latest release of Proxmox onto a USB and boot it from there.. ERROR: could not insert 'intel_rng': no such device - I didn't want to disable the MPS Table mode, so scrub that idea.

2nd attempt - Install Debian 11, then install ProxMox over the top of that. ERROR: unable to 'see' any HDD partitions. What I'm not mentioning here is the fun that I discovered to get the network adaptors working - BNX2 firmware.. hmm!

3rd attempt - Install Debian 9, upgrade to Debian 10 (and then upgrade to Debian 11). ERROR: couldn't find location of UID, system halted

4th attempt - Install Debian 9, install Proxmox VE over the top of that. Figuring at least, some older version of Proxmox is better than nothing. ERROR: couldn't find location of UID, system halted.

So, in just those four short sentences, I've briefly described my last three days of working with this server. At this point I'm going to throw it over to you guys for suggestions and help please.

My latest attempt went like this:

Code:
- Specify static IP address, 'nano /etc/network/interfaces'
- Add hosts entry, 'nano /etc/hosts'
- Check with 'hostname --ip-address' which should return your static IP address
- 'echo "deb [arch=amd64] http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve stretch pve-no-subscription" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-install-repo.list'
- 'wget http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve/dists/stretch/proxmox-ve-release-5.x.gpg -O /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/proxmox-ve-release-5.x.gpg'
- 'chmod +r /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/proxmox-ve-release-5.x.gpg'
- 'apt update && apt full-upgrade && apt dist-upgrade'
- Reboot
- 'apt install proxmox-ve postfix open-iscsi' (UNABLE TO LOCATE THE PACKAGE)
- Edit / Update Repos in sources.list to include:
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian stretch main contrib
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian stretch-updates main contrib
deb http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve stretch pve-no-subscription (IGNORING THE DUPLICATION ERROR WHEN UPDATING)
deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security stretch-security main contrib
- 'apt update && apt full-upgrade && apt dist-upgrade'
- Reboot
- I noticed Proxmox mentioned on the Grub menu, which was nice
- Retrying 'apt install proxmox-ve postfix open-iscsi' (SUCCESS)
- apt remove os-prober
- Reboot (it couldn't find location of UID, system halted - Awful camera phone photo attached)

The main problem that I cannot resolve is the cciss/hspa driver issue, which is preventing me using a newer operating system. Maybe that in itself will be a quick fix suggestion from somebody and then I could just go with a more up to date Proxmox?

If I'm honest, I only 'dabble' with linux. Please be gentle!! Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_20211129_111442.jpg
    IMG_20211129_111442.jpg
    293.9 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: ajacknelson
Can you install PVE 6.4 directly?

Now.. interestingly enough I created a HP DVD ISO yesterday and thought, it's no harm to give this a try. The ISO in question was a HP Firmware updater, called firmware-9.30-0. I just ran it and it had 5 updates for me, I'm unsure exactly what else (other than the Network interface and the RAID controller (which went from version 4.x to 7.x)) was updated (because I was running it as an unattended updater) but I thought I'd give PVE 6.4 another go.. Guess what?! - See attached photos!

So now I'm getting greedy, I'm wondering can I now progress to a newer ProxMox?!?!?!

Attachments

• HP Updater ISO.jpg
    HP Updater ISO.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 64
  • ProxMox Installation.jpg
    ProxMox Installation.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: Rebitnic and mira
Hey - so can we just please get this in a guide for all HP systems - I feel that this should be at least in a guide.

Thanks again for the help

On an DL360 G5 7.3 Didn't work for me, however I installed 6.4, and manually upgraded to 7.3. However the 5.15 kernel resulted in a failed boot so i booted with the old 5.4 kernel and opted into the 6.1 kernel beta, which runs perfectly.

Now.. interestingly enough I created a HP DVD ISO yesterday and thought, it's no harm to give this a try. The ISO in question was a HP Firmware updater, called firmware-9.30-0. I just ran it and it had 5 updates for me, I'm unsure exactly what else (other than the Network interface and the RAID controller (which went from version 4.x to 7.x)) was updated (because I was running it as an unattended updater) but I thought I'd give PVE 6.4 another go.. Guess what?! - See attached photos!

So now I'm getting greedy, I'm wondering can I now progress to a newer ProxMox?!?!?!
Hello, this is really good news. I have a PL380 G5 that is running W7 Pro, I'd like to install what you have mentioned because it's so much more useful. I will look to upgrade the CPU, including expanding the HD's in the system. Currently I have a few 72GB drives installed, Installing a few 512GB SSD and better would really expand the life of this device. Rock on, my friend. Be safe allways

I have followed the method above, but it doesn't work on my dl380 gen5, is there another way, or did I make a mistake while following the method you mentioned.
I have a Proliant DL380 gen5 at home, and I want to install PVE. Please help

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!