How to use vlanID during installation of proxmox

Daxcor

Oct 31, 2021
I want to have my proxmox hosts use a specific vlan during the installation process. Is this possible? The screen shot doesn't look like that is something I can add. Is there another way to accomplish this?

thanks

Hi,
you will have to configure VLAN tags after the initial installation. Since you install from the ISO installer, there is no need to be connected to the network during installation anyway and you can adapt the /etc/network/interfaces accoriding to your needs afterwards.

For a typical VLAN setup see https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Configuration#sysadmin_network_vlan

You mean as option to set VLAN tags for the host interface configuration during installation? Not sure how niece/requested such a feature might be but you are free to open a feature request at https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/.

With the influx of organizations migrating from VMware to Proxmox, ESXi already offers this option during installation. Offering this option will be one less friction pain point.

This would only help me to a limited extent, I no longer use hypervisors without LACP, which means that in addition to setting a VLAN ID, it would also be necessary to create a LACP. Ultimately, this would only be of use to me for the initial setup. There would also be further work to be done, as I may have to adapt MTU etc.

The way I currently handle it is to pack a network configuration into an ISO file and then mount this image on the server. So I can copy the config and adjust the relevant parts.

Personally, I'm currently rather unsure whether the feature will actually be useful for the general users or not. This would save me perhaps 2 minutes of work, which would only occur once in 5 years. Nevertheless, the implementation would be a one-time effort and would probably require little maintenance.

JM2C

@sb-jw, we also only do LACP for our hypervisors and if I am not mistaken on most switches you can allow passive lacp on the aggregate port, allowing the interface to become active/connected without running lacp/bond on the server.

We use an iso with post-install configuration scripts to build the bonds etc., which we mount via ipmi once the system is booted for the first time. After that the interfaces file looks something like this:
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet manual

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet manual

auto eth2
iface eth2 inet manual

auto eth3
iface eth3 inet manual

auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
        bond-slaves eth0 eth1 eth2 eth3
        bond-miimon 100
        bond-mode 802.3ad
        bond-xmit-hash-policy layer2+3
        bond-downdelay 200
        bond-updelay 200

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        bridge-ports bond0
        bridge-stp off
        bridge-fd 0
        bridge-vlan-aware yes
        bridge-vids 198
#bridge-vids 198

auto vmbr0.198
iface vmbr0.198 inet static
        address 10.1.98.11/24
        gateway 10.1.98.254
#pve-management
note: bridge-vids is important on the bridge, if your nic has limited registers for vlans; i.e. mellanox connectx-3 has only room for 128 vlans.
note 2: the bond should carry a virtual mac address, not the mac of the first interface in the bond. Older kernels did not assign a virtual/private mac upon bond creation, what I would like to do is take the mac of the first interface and make it private by replacing the first byte with 0x02: e.g.:
Code:
auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
        bond-slaves eth0 eth2 eth3
        bond-miimon 100
        bond-mode 802.3ad
        bond-xmit-hash-policy layer2+3
        bond-downdelay 200
        up ip link dev bond0 address 02:b6:fd:ec:a6:14

So being able to set the vlan tag for the management interface on the bridge from within the installer would be a great help!

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!