How to turn off the VM bootup menu?

pbrownrobo

Feb 8, 2024
(I am talking about the "Start boot option" screen)

doing a bit of googling suggests that with "normal" qm, you can do things like

qm set -boot menu=off

or change the splash-timeout seconds

but.... with proxmox 7, that seems to have been blocked.
So... how can I remove the initial proxmox boot device chooser thing from when the VM first starts up?

Last edited:
err, what?
thats not how it behaves.

I have a working OS installed for the VM. I dont have a cdrom media enabled for it any more; it boots to the OS on VM disk.
However, before it boots, it hangs around for 5+ seconds on the proxmox bios screen.

The exact splash differs depending on whether you are using the UEFI bios or default one.
The UEFI bios says "Start boot option" below the graphic.
The standard proxmox VM bios says "ESC for boot menu".

Either way, they always appear at VM startup for 5 seconds, before booting the actual OS.

I want them to go away.

If you're on UEFI, you SHOULD be able to change the setting (which by default is 3 seconds btw) with the following method:
During that time-out, press escape, go to "Boot Maintenance Manager", go to "Auto Boot Time-out", set it to 0, press F10, Y, Escape, go to continue, enjoy your 5 seconds quicker boot :)
HOWEVER: While just testing it to get the exact step-names for you, I found that, while it does seem to save, and after pressing continue the boot is quick, it seems to not retain the settings during reboot, so I'm not sure if that's a bug or "working as intended"
EDIT: Small further test: Even with an in-OS reboot, which doesn't cause a console-reset, it does not seem to save that changed amount of seconds

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!