How to successfully migrate a VPS on openstack to Proxmox

hassoon

Jan 27, 2020
Hi All
I Just wanted to ask about a successful way to migrate a VPS from some VPS hosting whose using openstack and get it successfully migrated to proxmox.
Ive tried the vmware converter and moved the vmdk file and got it imported using the command:
qm importdisk XXX filename.vmdk PoolName -format raw
but when I start the VM in proxmox it switches to system recovery and with not much of workable options.
I went to cmd shell and saw the folders there.
Ive tried changing between ata / sata / scsi / virtio but all didnt have much success.
anyone can suggest anything here

One way to do it:
After the proxmox logo with load-bar, right when it switched to the spinning windows circle: reset the VM (specifically reset), then repeat that, and during the 3rd boot it SHOULD switch to safe-mode automatically, if it can get there that is.

Also, have you checked if your old openstack installation is through EUFI or not? Or just try switching it between EUFI and SeaBIOS (but do keep the disk to sata for the first boot, we can "fix" it to be the recommended scsi later)

One way to do it:
After the proxmox logo with load-bar, right when it switched to the spinning windows circle: reset the VM (specifically reset), then repeat that, and during the 3rd boot it SHOULD switch to safe-mode automatically, if it can get there that is.

Also, have you checked if your old openstack installation is through EUFI or not? Or just try switching it between EUFI and SeaBIOS (but do keep the disk to sata for the first boot, we can "fix" it to be the recommended scsi later)
Thanks
Ive already gone into system repair loop btw.
so is that what you meant by safe mode?

Last edited:
First of all, does your recovery mode (which implies Windows) see the disk (SATA with the LSI controller is probably the safest). Was there a vTPM chip and/or BitLocker information that needs to be copied over?

VMDK implies VMWare, you say, OpenStack which is just KVM, so what were the settings there, they should be translatable almost verbatim to what Proxmox does. Isn't the native disk image qcow2?

If it is OpenStack, I would use the old environment to add/install the current VirtIO drivers first, make sure you are booting from VirtIO and then just move the disk image, trying to keep as much of the settings identical. Windows is very sensitive to disk ordering, (emulated) hardware changes etc and most of it has to do with lack of drivers and licensing.

No, safe mode is a "slimmed down" version of Windows (or other operating systems) that loads only the bear necessary drivers to start up, although I doubt it would do much in your regard [1]. I was just answering the question on how to do what _gebriel suggested though.

I personally have more confidence in it being an EUFI-vs-BIOS issue (combined with not-sata).
On the old system, run "system information" and in the first page, look for the "BIOS Mode" and check if it says EUFI there or not [2].

Also guruevi, if you read the original post, they used the vmware-converter, that's why it's a vmdk-file even though it's an OpenStack system, which I'm guessing they might not have root-access to?

[1] https://computer.howstuffworks.com/question575.htm
[2] https://kb.parallels.com/115815

loads only the bear necessary drivers to start up, although I doubt it would do much in your regard
in safe mode, ide and sata standard drivers are force loaded because in normal boot they are disabled when only scsi disks (LSI/virtio/3rd party) are used.
it's a way to easy switch from scsi to sata or ide. once booted install virtio scsi driver and switch to virtio is possible.

Reactions: milew
If you used VMWare’s converter does it slipstream its own drivers and boot config at that time, it used to do this (XP / 7 era), but I haven’t touched it since their converter hasn’t been available (at least not freely downloadable without subscription/account) so make sure that wherever you got it, it is capable of handling Windows 10/11.

There is StarWind P2V as an alternative and some other tools that can make VHDX from live/running Windows systems, or if you have the capacity of booting a USB drive, disk cloning may be an option as well.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!