How to setup DSL connection in networking?

basing

Jul 29, 2022
I didn't find any examples to setup ADSL connection, which needs to use ppp and username/pass. Other systems I could use network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0 file to define basic properties and than add user/pass into /etc/ppp/chap-secrets.

Hi,

Proxmox VE is just a regular Debian installation under the hood, so you should be able to follow any guide/tutorial for Debian systems.

Hi,

Proxmox VE is just a regular Debian installation under the hood, so you should be able to follow any guide/tutorial for Debian systems.
Ubuntu/debian has utility pppoeconf, but if it wouldn't let me install it
Bash:
W: (pve-apt-hook) !! WARNING !!
W: (pve-apt-hook) You are attempting to remove the meta-package 'proxmox-ve'!
W: (pve-apt-hook)
W: (pve-apt-hook) If you really want to permanently remove 'proxmox-ve' from your system, run the following command
W: (pve-apt-hook)     touch '/please-remove-proxmox-ve'
W: (pve-apt-hook) run apt purge proxmox-ve to remove the meta-package
W: (pve-apt-hook) and repeat your apt invocation.
W: (pve-apt-hook)
W: (pve-apt-hook) If you are unsure why 'proxmox-ve' would be removed, please verify
W: (pve-apt-hook)     - your APT repository settings
W: (pve-apt-hook)     - that you are using 'apt full-upgrade' to upgrade your system
E: Sub-process /usr/share/proxmox-ve/pve-apt-hook returned an error code (1)
E: Failure running script /usr/share/proxmox-ve/pve-apt-hook

Hmm, I just tried this out, there is indeed a dependency problem.
pppoeconf pulls in ifupdown as a dependency. pve-manager requires ifupdown2, which conflicts with ifupdown. That means, if you try to install pppoeconf, apt will try to find a valid dependency graph, and thus ifupdown2 and thus pve-manager is removed.

Not sure if there is a non-hacky way to solve this.

Reactions: basing
Some more details: ifupdown2 provides and replaces ifupdown, however pppoeconf requires a specific version of ifupdown.

[1] states that:

[1] https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-relationships.html#virtual-packages-provides
I wonder if there is any other way to setup DSL connection, but to getting into hacking proxmox for pppoeconf install. I remember in most older systems like network-scripts in Fedora was always straight forward. Now Ubuntu has a /etc/netplan and also doesn't support DSL, but adding pppoeconf works in parallel no problem.

You could just install a VyOS, openwrt or OPNsens/pfSense as vm on Proxmox as well. Let that guest vm do pppoe and then have Proxmox access wan through the vm, if you don’t want to use additional baremetal hardware.

Setting up an extra VM seems like unnecessary hassle, as I have dual NIC each has to establish individual session, and even now ISP's modem can't handle routing with UPnP, so putting another router in between ISP and VMS is just extra work, and a simple router also won't handle it most likely same as current one (although seems new hardware with even 2.5Gbps port).
I could setup extra Proxmox hardware as a router, but it will be anothe 2 hops in between wan and VMs.
Yet I haven't found any other way to establish connections directly via Proxmox, so I'll probably try to setup pfSense on the same machine.
I didn't realize I could also use openwrt, with which I'm more familiar.

how to install pppoe and pppoeconf

here is what I do:

# apt install aptitude # aptitude remove ifupdown2 The following packages will be REMOVED: ifupdown2 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 66 not upgraded. Need to get 0 B of archives. After unpacking 1,777 kB will be freed. The following packages have unmet dependencies: pve-manager : Depends: ifupdown2 (>= 3.0) but it is not going to be installed or ifenslave (>= 2.6) but it is not going to be installed The following actions will resolve these dependencies: Remove the following packages: 1) proxmox-ve [8.0.1 (now)] 2) pve-manager [8.0.3 (now)] Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] n The following actions will resolve these dependencies: Install the following packages: 1) ifenslave [2.13 (stable)] 2) ifupdown [0.8.41 (stable)] 3) net-tools [2.10-0.1 (stable)] Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] y #apt install pppoe pppoeconf

use "apt remove ifupdown2" it will remove pve-manager and proxmox-ve
but when you use "aptitude remove ifupdown2"
you have options to choice
second option is install ifupdown then you can install pppoe and pppoeconf

I just test it ok on pve8

Last edited:
how to install pppoe and pppoeconf

here is what I do:

those command can be simplify like this:
apt install -y aptitude
aptitude remove -y ifupdown2- pve-manager= proxmox-ve=
aptitude install -y pppoe pppoeconf
aptitude unhold pve-manager proxmox-ve

apt install -y aptitude
aptitude remove -y ifupdown2- pve-manager= proxmox-ve=
aptitude install -y pppoe pppoeconf
aptitude unhold pve-manager proxmox-ve

final result:
install ifupdown ppp pppoe pppoeconf
remove ifupdown2

then you can use pppoeconf to setup DSL connection
but lack of ifupdown2 you may missing few new features at pve7, 8
featuee like: change network setting without reboot

Reactions: onoseto

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!