How to restore VM's after removing ZFS pool

dixie2000

May 16, 2023
Somewhat new to Proxmox so be kind...

I need to remove my ZFS pool and revert back to a "standard" drive. All VM's and CT's are backed up to another server running PBS. My question is once the ZFS pool is gone and the VM and CT are gone how do I restore from backup?

Thanks for any input...

@mariol

Thanks for the response. Not sure I completely understand. I just want to destroy the ZFS pool and use the drives as storage (like a new disk). I can then restore all my verified Backus from PBS.

Thanks for the response. Not sure I completely understand.
I am happy to help :)

So your Proxmox is installed on ZFS, or LVM, or...? [1]
The zpool we are talking about, is it a separate, manually created pool or an rpool? [2]

Please give me the output of
Code:
pvs
Code:
vgs
Code:
lvs
Code:
zpool list
Code:
zpool status

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#installation_installer
[2] https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/ZFS_on_Linux#_installation_as_root_file_system

PVS -
PV VG Fmt Attr PSize PFree
/dev/sda3 pve lvm2 a-- 231.88g 16.00g

VGS -
VG #PV #LV #SN Attr VSize VFree
pve 1 6 0 wz--n- 231.88g 16.00g

LVS -
LV VG Attr LSize Pool Origin Data% Meta% Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
data pve twi-aotz-- <140.06g 18.47 1.70
root pve -wi-ao---- <68.97g
snap_vm-110-disk-0_b4smart2agentinstall pve Vri---tz-k 16.00g data
swap pve -wi-ao---- 4.00g
vm-110-disk-0 pve Vwi-aotz-- 16.00g data snap_vm-110-disk-0_b4smart2agentinstall 63.77
vm-110-state-b4smart2agentinstall pve Vwi-a-tz-- <8.49g data 33.54

ZPOOL LIST -
NAME SIZE ALLOC FREE CKPOINT EXPANDSZ FRAG CAP DEDUP HEALTH ALTROOT
zfspool 464G 43.8G 420G - - 1% 9% 1.00x ONLINE -

ZPOOL STATUS -
pool: zfspool
state: ONLINE
scan: scrub repaired 0B in 00:00:28 with 0 errors on Sun Sep 8 00:24:29 2024
config:

NAME STATE READ WRITE CKSUM
zfspool ONLINE 0 0 0
nvme-Samsung_SSD_970_EVO_Plus_500GB_S58SNM0WA08392X_1 ONLINE 0 0 0

errors: No known data errors

Thank you for the informations. I see you use the default installation with LVM. You are running one VM at LVM-Thin with vmid 110 and you use an extra ZFS pool named "zfspool". BTW: please use the "Code feature" here in the forum, because with that this output are much easier to read.

So in your case, Proxmox VE does not need to be reinstalled. You can destroy your ZFS pool (if you have backed up everything) and use another storage type [1] of your choice.

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#_storage_types

@mariol

Thank you for the response and guidance, I do appreciate it. I have done a bit of "googling" on destroying ZFS pools attempting to find a best practice and nothing seems real clear, might there be guide that you are aware of?

Thanks again,
al

Reactions: mariol
@mariol

Thank you for the response and guidance, I do appreciate it. I have done a bit of "googling" on destroying ZFS pools attempting to find a best practice and nothing seems real clear, might there be guide that you are aware of?

Thanks again,
al
Please refer the manpage: man zpool

Destruction
zpool destroy(8)
Destroys the given pool, freeing up any devices for other use.

Example 8: Destroying a ZFS Storage Pool
The following command destroys the pool tank and any datasets contained within:
# zpool destroy -f tank

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!