How to repace bridge utilities by openvswitch bridge

JLS

Aug 15, 2012
France
Hi all,
For testing purpose I'm trying to work in compatibility mode with openvswitch in proxmox 2.1. For that I have to install the openvswitch.ko module. when I made ​​the 'modprob openvswitch.ko' an error occurs: that is carracteristique of the presence of the bridge module and dmesg shows me that this is bridge that is in confict with the new module. 'modprob -l' does not list bridge ... how to remove the bridge in the kernel?

Best regards,
JLS.

Hi all,
For testing purpose I'm trying to work in compatibility mode with openvswitch in proxmox 2.1. For that I have to install the openvswitch.ko module. when I made ​​the 'modprob openvswitch.ko' an error occurs: that is carracteristique of the presence of the bridge module and dmesg shows me that this is bridge that is in confict with the new module. 'modprob -l' does not list bridge ... how to remove the bridge in the kernel?

Best regards,
JLS.
Since I'm 'having fun' with the network set-up on proxmox, I can tell you, assuming you haven't found the answer, you need to recompile the kernel. Bridge is loaded in, you need to make it a module, then unload it (rmmod)

Thank you calucifer,
I arived at the same conclusion. So I had recompile the kernel (....make menuconfig...make-kpkg...->kernel-image + kernel-headers + kernel-source) and I supress the bridge. After that I had to re-make the openvswitch for the new kernel because I had and error : insmod saying that the module I compiled in the old kernel is not longer compatible with the new one. I had insoluble compile errors (for me)... I could give you more details on error if you could help me.
Best Regards
JLS.

Thank you calucifer,
I arived at the same conclusion. So I had recompile the kernel (....make menuconfig...make-kpkg...->kernel-image + kernel-headers + kernel-source) and I supress the bridge. After that I had to re-make the openvswitch for the new kernel because I had and error : insmod saying that the module I compiled in the old kernel is not longer compatible with the new one. I had insoluble compile errors (for me)... I could give you more details on error if you could help me.
Best Regards
JLS.
Sorry mate, I have massive time constraints, while I would love to be running proxmox, with containerised linux vms hooked together and to the outside world with openvswitch .... I ran out of time and had to use virtualbox so I'm no good to you.

I'm a developer, I know bugger all about networking, virtualbox had the easiest network setup ....... :p

perhaps once this project is done I can get back to this

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!