How to properly use *all* of the hard drive space on my ProxMox server

imikejackson

Jul 31, 2024
We have a set of 6 small x86 machines. Each have an Intel CPU with 14 cores, 32 GB RAM and a 1TB SSD drive. I have installed ProxMox on all of them. Created a Cluster for them and gotten some VMs up and running. The issue that I am seeing is that for some of them (Windows VM specifically), they are filling the 100GB "local" disk that ProxMox was installed into. I am new to ProxMox and feel like I might have missed something during installation. It was my understanding that the VM disks would use the other 900GB available (local-lvm) for the VM's working space. I am hoping I just missed something simple when I setup the VM.

Been googling, watching YouTube videos but I cannot seem to quite find this same issue. I can send any configuration details that might be helpful. Here is a typical VM that I have setup.

Screenshot 2024-10-09 at 17.53.02.png

Screenshot 2024-10-09 at 17.54.22.png

I'm new at this too, just made my first post here and waiting for someone to reply. From what I've seen the VM disk size is fixed. If you are running out of space I've found some stuff about expanding the disk. It seems straightforward and from what I've seen can also be done while the VM is running. (Just requires a reboot) But if your disk is filling up you may want to look at why. What's taking up the space? Are there logs or something that needs to be cleared? Good Luck.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!