How to move Proxmox SSD from /dev/sdb to /dev/sda

malovarica

Aug 2, 2024
Hi everybody
I installed Proxmox on the SSD.
Proxmox sees the SSD as /dev /sdb.
How do I make the system see SSD as dev/sda?
I know I need to connect the SATA cable from the SATA1 to the SATA0 on the motherboard.
And then, what I need to do next?
Thank you!

You should not really worry about any of these, you would best to refer to your devices as /dev/disk/by... instead. What are you trying to achieve? Your /etc/fstab should not be referring to any sdX names at all already.

I will setup HA cluster with Ceph. On other 2, I have Proxmox on SSD as /dev/sda.
On third server, Proxmox should be on /dev/sda.
To proper boot, do I need edit some grub files or run some other commands?

But worrying about the /dev/sdX names ordering is a misunderstanding how the names are assigned. These are NOT persistent across reboots. It literally is assigned as kernel discovers them. You could then make udev rules to have persistent names, but you basically already have that by using /dev/disk/by-id. You should not be referring to your disks in any of your configs under the /dev/sdX names. You can literally have e.g. hotswap disk shown as /dev/sdf and replaced one shown as /dev/sdh and nothing left as /dev/sdf until next reboot.

If you will feel better connecting your boot drive into different SATA, feel free to do so. If it's all identical hardware, it will likely appear same way, but it's the wrong thing to be worried about. Also if you later e.g. USB live boot the same systems, all your drive names might be different again.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!