How to monitor for high CPU guest condition?

May 1, 2024
Hello All,

We recently moved to PVE and I have an old Windows Server 2003 guest VM (don't ask) that occasionally goes into high CPU condition with all CPUs running north of 90%. We recently moved to PVE from VMware and this guest condition occurs on both platforms, so I'm quite sure that this is a guest and not a hypervisor issue.

All this to say that I need a solution to continuously monitor the % CPU status of the guest with the ability to send a notification if the % CPU exceeds a certain threshold value for a period of time. I have looked briefly at the PVE documentation - I'm not sure that an external metrics server is the solution here unless alerts can be configured?

I also looked at the REST API docs but couldn't find an endpoint that documented the current guest % CPU value (I think it's there for LXC guests but not KVM/QEMU?)

First prize would be an open source or paid solution that does exactly what I'm looking for - continuous guest monitoring with the ability to configure alerts for various conditions. My apologies if I'm missing something obvious.

Any help or guidance to point me in the right direction would be much appreciated!

Regards, Rob

Hello,
example Zabbix does for me what you need. But it is a robust server-client based solution (open-source) .
Petr

I don't use Zabbix myself - but I know many that do & are very satisfied.

Zabbix has a Zabbix + Proxmox implementation here.

Preferably you would install it in a VM but I also remember seeing online users who run Zabbix on Debian(?) in an LXC in Proxmox.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!