How to install Coral M.2 PCI passthrough for Frigate on Proxmox 8+

vendo232

Dec 16, 2021
Code:
apt install pve-headers

apt-get install --reinstall gasket-dkms ( this does not work in latest PROXMOX 8 )

GASKET-DKMS installation in Proxmox 8

apt remove gasket-dkms
apt install git
apt install devscripts
apt install dh-dkms

In HOME

git clone https://github.com/google/gasket-driver.git
cd gasket-driver/
debuild -us -uc -tc -b
cd..
dpkg -i gasket-dkms_1.0-18_all.deb

apt update && apt upgrade

reboot

Coral Drivers

echo "deb https://packages.cloud.google.com/apt coral-edgetpu-stable main" | tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/coral-edgetpu.list

curl https://packages.cloud.google.com/apt/doc/apt-key.gpg | apt-key add -

apt-get update

apt-get install gasket-dkms libedgetpu1-std

sh -c "echo 'SUBSYSTEM==\"apex\", MODE=\"0660\", GROUP=\"apex\"' >> /etc/udev/rules.d/65-apex.rules"

groupadd apex

adduser $USER apex

lspci -nn | grep 089a

03:00.0 System peripheral: Device 1ac1:089a

ls /dev/apex_0
    /dev/apex_0

nano /etc/default/grub

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet intel_iommu=on iommu=pt"

update-grub              -     to finalize changes

nano /etc/modules

vfio
vfio_iommu_type1
vfio_pci
vfio_virqfd

reboot

after reboot add Coral as PCI Hardware to your VM.

1715374408779.png

1715374465121.png

UPDATE: Do not update kernel. upgrading kernel will cause issues and PROXMOX will not boot.

If you upgrade Kernel then follow this guide to revert to the Kernel you used when you installed this guide.

https://engineerworkshop.com/blog/how-to-revert-a-proxmox-kernel-update/

Last edited:
Reactions: weehooey-bh
Hi. I seem to be having problems with my Coral TPU not being detected in my Ubuntu VM. It was working but seems to have broken after an update.

In your script above - do all those commands need to be done in Proxmox, or are some of them in the VM?

Hi. I seem to be having problems with my Coral TPU not being detected in my Ubuntu VM. It was working but seems to have broken after an update.

In your script above - do all those commands need to be done in Proxmox, or are some of them in the VM?
you need to install GOOGLE driver in VM as well

Could you please share the details of the VM you are passing it through?
I have tried passing my Coral TPU PCIe to a Debian 12 VM (without installing the drivers on the Proxmox host though) without any luck. It resulted in the VM not booting and the Proxmox host reporting the following errors in the log:

Code:
Jun 21 18:13:50 pve kernel: vfio-pci 0000:01:00.0: Unable to change power state from D3cold to D0, device inaccessible
Jun 21 18:13:49 pve kernel: vfio-pci 0000:01:00.0: Unable to change power state from D3cold to D0, device inaccessible
Jun 21 18:13:49 pve kernel: vfio-pci 0000:01:00.0: Unable to change power state from D3cold to D0, device inaccessible

Another hint about installing a Google Coral TPU M.2 in a Docker container running on a Debian Proxmox VM (and probably similar for an LXC container too) to run Frigate object detection. Maybe this helps, I typed them up as notes-to-self, and I am far from an expert so please correct me as necessary. This whole saga started as the USB Coral gets stuck and there seems to be no solution for this.

The Proxmox host used is a fully updated 8.2.4 installation running on an Intel NUC NUC6i5SYH. I have been following instructions above and here, which are versions of the Google docs here.

The key points to remember are -
  • Configure the Proxmox host by installing the drivers & setting permissions as described above. As below, my Proxmox host shows no /dev/apex_0 device and this does not seem to matter.
  • Pass through the PCI device from the host to the VM.
  • Configure the VM if you are using one to host the Docker container by following these instructions to install the drivers & set permissions again
  • LXC containers are different here but still pay attention to passing through the right devices and setting permissions
  • If using a VM you must pass-through the /dev/apex_0 into the Docker container. This was the final sprinkle that got everything working for me.
Check the TPU is visible in the Proxmox host -
Code:
root@pmox02:/home#
root@pmox02:/home# lspci -vv |grep Coral
01:00.0 System peripheral: Global Unichip Corp. Coral Edge TPU (prog-if ff)
    Subsystem: Global Unichip Corp. Coral Edge TPU
root@pmox02:/home# lspci -nn | grep 089a
01:00.0 System peripheral [0880]: Global Unichip Corp. Coral Edge TPU [1ac1:089a]

root@pmox02:/home# dmesg |grep apex
[   66.498629] apex 0000:01:00.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0002)
[   71.778691] apex 0000:01:00.0: Apex performance not throttled due to temperature

root@pmox02:/home# lsmod |grep apex
apex                   28672  0
gasket                126976  1 apex

root@pmox02:/home# ls /dev/apex*
ls: cannot access '/dev/apex*': No such file or directory

The TPU is visible in the hardware configuration for the Debian VM and can be passed through
View attachment 71211

In the Debian VM things look good -
Code:
root@frigate01:/home# lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:    Debian
Description:    Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)
Release:    12
Codename:    bookworm
root@frigate01:/home# uname -r
6.1.0-22-amd64
root@frigate01:/home# lspci -vv |grep Coral
00:10.0 System peripheral: Global Unichip Corp. Coral Edge TPU (prog-if ff)
    Subsystem: Global Unichip Corp. Coral Edge TPU
root@frigate01:/home# ls /dev/apex*
/dev/apex_0
root@frigate01:/home# lspci -nn | grep 089a
00:10.0 System peripheral [0880]: Global Unichip Corp. Coral Edge TPU [1ac1:089a]

And docker-compose.yaml -
Code:
services:
  frigate:
    container_name: frigate
    restart: unless-stopped
    image: ghcr.io/blakeblackshear/frigate:stable
    volumes:
      - ./config:/config
      - ./storage:/media/frigate
      - type: tmpfs # Optional: 1GB of memory, reduces SSD/SD Card wear
        target: /tmp/cache
        tmpfs:
          size: 1000000000
    ports:
      - "5000:5000"
      - "8554:8554" # RTSP feeds
    environment:
      LIBVA_DRIVER_NAME: "i965"
      FRIGATE_CAMERA_PASSWORD: "supersecret"

devices:
#      - /dev/bus/usb:/dev/bus/usb # for USB Coral
      - /dev/apex_0:/dev/apex_0

The Frigate configuration:
Code:
detectors:
  coral1:
    type: edgetpu
    device: pci:0

Several instructions mentioned the following points which I never figured out -
  • MSI-X - From Googling this it is the stuff of nightmares but seems to be fine with the out-of-box configuration
  • Disable Secure Boot - again, this seems to be different in Proxmox 8 and I never found out how to do this for Debian VM with SeaBIOS.
Hope that helps someone.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!