[SOLVED] How to I backup to a namespace below root?

MrGeezer

Apr 11, 2022
Hi,

This is probably really basic and RTFM but I can't figure it out for the life of me!

I already had a PVE server called PVE01. Then I got another host to put Backup Server on, caled PBS01.

I've got a few VM's from PVE01 backed up - 101, 102, 103 etc.

I now have another PVE server I want to use. It's called LoungeNUC. It has VM's numbered 101, 102 etc that I wish to backup.

I added the PBS server to my new LoungeNUC host no problem. Then in PBS I created a namespace called LoungeNUC no problem.

So HOW do I now tell the new PVE server that I don't want it to save backups in the ROOT namespace (where there are already backups from PVE01) but in the root/LoungeNUC namespace? I Can't see any options when I add the datastore, nor when I create the backup jobs.

If someone could point me to where in the manual it tells you - or just do me an even bigger favour and tell me - I would be eternally grateful!

I added the PBS server to my new LoungeNUC host no problem. Then in PBS I created a namespace called LoungeNUC no problem.

You need to invert these two steps.
So you first create the namespace on the PBS, than you add the PBS to your PVE-storages: In the mask for adding the PBS to your PVE, there is also a field where you define the namespace you want to be used.

Reactions: Colin 't Hart
Thanks. Well I might have written the above carelessly as I think I actually created the namespace first. I was looking for a field like the one you describe so pretty sure I did it in correct order.

Just in case, I deleted it and readded. When I try to re-add I don't see the field where I can enter my namespace. Is this a bug in my installation or am I being really dumb?

pbs-screenshot.png

You're not dumb. As usual: it is only easy if you know where to look ;-)

On my PBS 2.2, in the WebGui, I can select an existing Datastore. When I select "Content" I see a list of all already existing Backups. On this page in the top row, above the table, there are buttons "Reload"/"Verify"/Prune". More to the right I can select an existing Namespace (which is only "root" = empty) and I can see "Add NS" :)

Best regards

Is your PVE up-to-date?
Have you tried clearing your browser cache? And/or maybe rebooting the PVE-host?

This is what it looks for me:
Screenshot 2022-06-26 103610.png

Edit: Even it totally looks like it, I did not photoshop this! :D

Last edited:
Is your PVE up-to-date?
Have you tried clearing your browser cache? And/or maybe rebooting the PVE-host?

This is what it looks for me:
View attachment 38417

Edit: Even it totally looks like it, I did not photoshop this! :D
Thanks. I have PVE version 7.2-3 (according to webgui) and I hhave tried clearing my browser cache and rebooting the server. Still no field to add a namespace when I go to add a new datastore.

I guess it must be a bug in the software or something if that's the place where it's supposed to be. Thanks for your help muc appreciated - I will try to see if it's possible to add from command line somehow

I'm so sorry for the late response. My PVE server decided to break itself badly enough to need reinstallation so I forgot about this.

thanks for the help I feel a bit silly now - will update :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!