How to get a VM to make use of a 10 Gig Ethernet conncetion and see it as a 10 Gig Nic?

chad.p

Sep 15, 2024
Hello,

I am very new to Proxmox. I have alot of VMware ESXI and HyperV experience. I have a dual 10 port Ethernet card. Proxmox Hypervisor sees it as 10 gig ports. From what I can see the VM machine network card choices are basically 1 gig drivers / adapters. I have tried searching for info and videos to see how I can assign the 2nd 10 gig port to my VM file server. I see network adapters to choose from when creating a VM the E1000. E1000E, VirtIO, realtek RTL8139 and VMWare vmxnet3. in order for the VM to see and be assigned a 10 gig network connection for the Microsoft and Linux world, which of the 5 adapters would I choose for each? For some VM's under ESXI I would create the virtual switch and the VMXNET assigned to the VM would see it as a 10 gig network connection. I assume I am overlooking and missing something in Proxmox. Do I take that 2nd 10 gig port and make a bridge connection and then assign that bridge connection to the VM and then what network card / driver do I select for the VM to use to give it a true 10 gig connection? I hope I have worded this correctly, and I hope I have posted it under the right topic area.

Sincerely,
Chad

Good day.
if i understand your question correctly you need to set the model of your network interface on your vm to virtIO in order to utilize the full 10gb connection. on windows vm you might need to install the virtIO driver as well.
You need to create a Linux bridge and link the interface to the bridge. have a look at how the default interface is setup and just copy for the new bridge.

For some VM's under ESXI I would create the virtual switch and the VMXNET assigned to the VM would see it as a 10 gig network connection
It's pretty much the same under proxmox - create a vmbr and assign it to the 2nd 10G nic - then use the VirtIO network device for your VM - Windows will need a driver in a similar way to vmware

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!