How to do a Full clone a Proxmox System?

gerardgarcia

Mar 25, 2023
Hi there!

I'm wondering if theres a way to make a full clone of a Proxmox System.
I have an NVME 1tb with My Proxmox System and some VMs inside, but I'm planning to migrate to a bigger one.

So the plan is to buy a 2tb NVME Drive, an USB NVME case and do the clone.

But I don't have any idea of how to do that.

Thanks

To fully clone your Proxmox system from a 1TB NVME drive to a 2TB NVME drive, you can use a tool like Clonezilla. First, put the new 2TB NVME drive in a USB NVME case and connect it to your computer. Then, download and boot Clonezilla from a USB stick. Follow the instructions to clone your 1TB drive to the 2TB drive. Make sure to select the "device-to-device" option. After cloning, you can replace the old 1TB drive with the new 2TB drive in your system. This way, all your Proxmox data and VMs will be copied over to the new drive.

you can use a tool like Clonezilla
I never had much luck with Clonezilla on a PVE OS disk - I believe it doesn't correctly deal with the partition structure. I just use the regular dd command (carefully!) - never had a problem.

One tip: Don't have both disks connected to the same running PVE instance at any time. (To do that you probably need to adjust UUIDs/GUIDs etc.).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!