How to disable returning email

Chris66

Jul 16, 2020
Hello,

How to disable return email?
For spam quarantine area, I can see many email address that doesn't exist on email server and our company IP address always blocks by RBL.
I don't know why, maybe we got too many spam, and return too many email to sender.

please provide some logs of such e-mails from PMG - else it's hard to find out what the exact problem is like:
* one interpretation - as @hata_ph correctly pointed out is that you mean the NDR(bounces) sent out for undeliverable mail
* another interpretation is that your PMG's dns-resolver is over-quota with certain DNSBLs and thus your downstream server then rejects the mail
(check out the getting started guide on our wiki regarding how to improve this:
https://pmg.proxmox.com/wiki/index.php/Getting_started_with_Proxmox_Mail_Gateway)
* yet another possibility is that you did not enable recipient verification (Configuration->Mail Proxy->Options) and thus PMG has to accept every address in one of your relay domains, without checking if the downstream server would accept it at all

I hope this helps!

I attach the option setting for your reference. Please recommend me how to configure the setting to prevent our company IP address to be blocked again.

Attachments

• Snap1.png
    Snap1.png
    77.9 KB · Views: 59
please provide some logs of such e-mails from PMG - else it's hard to find out what the exact problem is like:
* one interpretation - as @hata_ph correctly pointed out is that you mean the NDR(bounces) sent out for undeliverable mail
* another interpretation is that your PMG's dns-resolver is over-quota with certain DNSBLs and thus your downstream server then rejects the mail
(check out the getting started guide on our wiki regarding how to improve this:
https://pmg.proxmox.com/wiki/index.php/Getting_started_with_Proxmox_Mail_Gateway)
* yet another possibility is that you did not enable recipient verification (Configuration->Mail Proxy->Options) and thus PMG has to accept every address in one of your relay domains, without checking if the downstream server would accept it at all

I hope this helps!
Could you tell me where I can find the log option?

Could you tell me where I can find the log option?
The mail.log are the files '/var/log/mail.log,/var/log/mail.log.1, /var/log/mail.log.*.gz' - you can also see the logs in the Tracking Center in the GUI
Keep in mind that the logs contain sensitive data (mail-addresses, ip-addresses,....) - so you might want to anonymize them

The settings look ok so far - I would check in the logs why you end up on the blacklist (usually there is a hint when someone puts you on a blacklist)

else - verify that you have only trusted addresses set in the trusted networks (GUI->Configuration->Mail Proxy->Networks) - additionally make sure that all your internal systems are using the internal port, and that the internet reaches only the external port of PMG
https://pmg.proxmox.com/pmg-docs/pmg-admin-guide.html#chapter_deployment

I hope this helps!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!